Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 09:24 PM
My [censored] two year old HK 7200 was found dead this morning. Last night the stinking remote sensor in the front panel stopped working, but luckily I have the remote senor for a second zone and got it to limp along. Then this morning, nothing - Nada…..zip, lifeless. Wont’ power on or anything.

No longer under warrantee, and even if it was, I’d have to Fed-X the bastard to the factory (no service centers in Alaska) at about $100. Plus return shipping and the [censored] wait to/from the factory.

Don’t really know why I’m posting this………..just venting I reckon. [Censored] I’m pissed. Spend that kind of money on an AVR just to have it go tits up within two years. And oh no, I couldn’t buy the second best, or the third, I had to buy the most expensive POS HK had at that time.

So now I’m going to buy another [censored] AVR for the HT tomorrow and have the prick Fed-Xed to me in time for superbowl Sunday.

Don’t think I’ll buy another HK, so what else should I be looking at that’s comparable to the POS that’s lying dead on my shelf? Preferably, one that’s living and will continue to live a ripe old age. How about all these new AVR’s with video upscalling? Worth it? I don’t want to spend over $1500. Hell, I didn’t want to spend anything. I have a HT room to finish and this most definitely wasn’t in the budget. And I need something that’ll drive M80’s and a pair of M22’s running parallel as a center.

I’m going to start the autopsy……….ain’t got nothing to loose. What a way to start my sunday. On top of a raging hangover too.........just had to open that second bottle..... uggg.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 09:51 PM
Have you checked to see if there's a reset?
Posted By: thyname Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 09:55 PM
Sorry Mike, sh**t happens!!

You are probably going it to figure it out for yourself, but Rotel comes to my mind first You have experience with them in separates stereo, why not try their receivers. RSX-1056 is also an economicall choice, for less than USD 1,300. Good luck with your choice.
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 10:38 PM
Some good news. I called One Call (where I bought it) and it’s still under warrantee. But I have to send it to the factory, which blows big time. I might as well by a new receiver and sell the 7200 when I get it back from the factory. Any takers??? LOL…..

I can’t find a reset anywhere.

While on the phone with One Call, the fella I spoke with told me they are getting a shipment of Boston Acoustics 7120’s in tomorrow and will sell me one for $1000 even. They normally run a little over $3000. Anyone heard of them?

Other units I’m considering so far:
Yamaha 4600
Denon 3806
Denon 4306
HK 7300 (with reservation seeing how my luck with HK isn’t too good)

One thing I like about the HK that I would like to keep with whatever I buy is the multi channel X-over adjustability. And I definitely want digital video outputs, so that narrows down the choices a bit.

Anything else I should look at?

Posted By: bridgman Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 10:55 PM
IIRC Onkyo is one of the few besides HK with multiple crossover frequencies.

The new Denon 2807 has HDMI in/out plus is the first receiver I have seen which converts all the analog inputs to HDMI. Maybe Yamahas do this too, not sure...
Posted By: BrenR Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 10:57 PM
Looks like their stuff is available at Best Buy and a bunch of "By Appointment Only" stores that seem to be home addresses.

Bren R.
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 11:01 PM
Thanks. I'll look at that one too.

That B/A 7120 is looking quite promissing.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/117758.html

No HDMI, but claims to have true component upscaling. Weighs 52 pounds, so it must have some hefty amps.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-3%2c6-15&menu=true&id=26575
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/29/06 11:04 PM
Huh? Don't quite get your point? Which one is the 'they'?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 12:06 AM
Mike:
A "reset" wouldn't typically be a button, but a sequence of buttons on startup. I think it's worth researching before shipping the unit or buying a replacement!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 12:06 AM
As a born tech, I have to help try and solve this problem. I'll go away if you want me to, but I'll feel bad about it. So first a question: is the power light orange around the lower power button? Is the upper power button engaged? Here's the reset procedure from the manual (sorry about the formatting...):

Processor Reset
In the rare case where the unit�s operation or the dis-
plays seem abnormal,the cause may involve the erratic
operation of the system�s memory or microprocessor.
Tocorrect this problem,first unplug the unit from the
AC wall outlet and wait at least three minutes. After the
pause,reconnect the AC power cord and check the
unit�s operation.If the system still malfunctions,a sys-
tem reset may clear the problem.
To clear the AVR 7200�s entire system memory
including tuner presets,output level settings,delay
times and speaker configuration data,first put the unit
in Standby by pressing the System Power Control
Button. Next, press and hold the Surround
Mode Group Selector and the TunerMode
Selector buttons for three seconds.
The unit will turn on automatically and display the
RESETmessage in the Main Information
Display ̃.
NOTE: Resetting the processor will erase any configu-
ration settings you have made for speakers,output
levels,surround modes,digital input assignments as
well as the tuner presets.After a reset the unit will be
returned to the factory presets,and all settings for
these items must be reentered.
If the system is still operating incorrectly,there may
have been an electronic discharge or severe AC line
interference that has corrupted the memory or
microprocessor.

Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 12:26 AM
Yeah, no light on the power button. Nothing. Acting as if there is an open curcuit.

Please don't go away. Any ideas are welcomed at this point.

If I can't get it to work today, I'm going to buy something towmorrow. Gotta have surround for the superbowl........

My old POS standby AVR is won't work either.

I'm still hung over too.

This is not a good day.....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 12:28 AM
Hmm... And you've tried a different power cord/outlet/etc/etc/ad nauseum. I'd try the reset, even if it looks like it's not doing anything. Worth a go. Could also a be a disconnect in the main power button (but that's probably too simple).
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 12:56 AM
Tried it Ken. No stirrings of life. Tried a different cord too. I'm about to start pulling screws, but I spose I better call HK first. Don't want to screw myself out a warranty.

I'm liking that B / A receiver more and more as I flip through the manual I downloaded. They just started making AVR's about a year ago. Not much information out there on them. Can't find many owner reviews. Anyone here have an experience with them?

Posted By: kingaljr Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 01:42 AM
Get the Boston,I have one and it powers my m60's wonderfully.It totaly blows away the 170wpc Sony I was using.
Posted By: bridgman Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 02:10 AM
>>My old POS standby AVR is won't work either.

This is a big screaming red flag for me. It's really unlikely that two receivers would fail at the same time. Any chance the outlet is dead, ie can you try the receiver in a different, known good outlet ?
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 02:23 AM
Fond a review. http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/705boston/

Found this post at Audioholics.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18811

“The BA AVR7120 and AVR7110 are clones of the Sherwood Newcastle R-965 and R-865 respectively. I'm not sure if there were any upgrades made to the BA equipment as they list at over $1000. more expensive than the equivalent Sherwood models. That said, OneCall (and maybe some others) are having clearance sales such that the BA equipment is significantly cheaper than it's Sherwood counterparts. One thing to keep in mind is after sales support, if BA is exiting the receiver arena, then there might not be any SW upgrades available, whereas Sherwood is both fixing bugs and adding features.”

Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 02:29 AM
Yeah I did that too.

The old AVR wasn’t working too well when I retired it. It came in a HTIB (awai). It’s just dead now. Worked for a few minutes, then it died.

I did check polarity on outlet just to be sure though. All’s good. Plus, I have pretty good surge protector/conditioner.

Posted By: alan Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 04:55 PM
Hi mdrew,

My condolences on your dead 7200, but I'm glad it's still under warranty. I'd advise you not to go with B/A. It's too new, there's no long-term reliability stuff on the brand, and if it's based on Sherwood, the latter has a dubious reliability record.

I had an Onkyo blow its output section some years ago. It was the first failure I'd had of a amp/receiver in 20 years or so, and I was annoyed. Then I found out they had had manufacturing problems, which I hope are solved.

Since you have M80s, there's always Denon, which will drive them. Think about an Outlaw preamp and the multichannel power amp as well. I''d avoid Yamaha if you are running a number of low impedances like the M80s and the M22s in parallel.

Regards,
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 05:09 PM
Thanks Alan.

The ‘newness’ of B/A has me a bit nervous as well. Plus, it’s MSRP of $3000, with on line vendors everywhere selling it for $1000 is a bit curious as well. Sure looks like a dandy unit though.

There are no local Denon retailers where I live. Does anyone know of any good on-line ‘authorized’ retailers?

Posted By: HomeDad Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 05:27 PM
If you want to go b-stock and save some coin try Dakmart. One of the few Denon authorized to sell b-stock with warranties. I've had good dealings with them.
Posted By: md55 Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 07:21 PM
I would avoid Dakmart like the plague. Terrible experince with them. Check out the online reviews, last time I looked they had a .2 out of ten yes thats point 2.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 07:51 PM
Never had a problem with them, but I have heard they have a tendency to sell items they don't have in stock, without letting the buyer know about the wait time.
Posted By: RickF Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 08:26 PM
Hate to hear that Mike, hopefully the problem will be solved in due time. You sound like me ([censored]) whenever this kind of stuff happens, sure can be aggravating to say the least.
Posted By: Richie Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/30/06 09:28 PM
I can strongly recommend Crutchfield.com. You can get the Denon 3805 from them for $900 including a USA warranty.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/31/06 04:00 AM
I also can recommend crutchfield. (purchased my 4802r there)

Save 300 on the 3805 at the website right now. To get it there for the weekend might be pushin' it

p.s. i can also recommend denon
Posted By: chesseroo Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/31/06 04:17 AM
Bad news on the receiver for sure.
The distance certainly doesn't help. One plus about being near/in a major centre, selection of shops.

Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 01/31/06 04:11 PM
Of course, your problem could be solved by purchasing a "temporary" unit from a Big Box store and returning it after the game. Your scruples may prevent you from doing this, knowing that once you return the item, the store can't sell it as new, and someone along the sales stream will have to eat that cost. But its a legitimate option that many stores permit you to take advantage of. This will tide you over until the amp/receiver that you really want gets to your door. As a bonus, in the meantime, maybe you can test out a new/different brand amp that you hadn't considered before - who knows, maybe you'll be converted and stick with that amp.
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/24/06 06:59 PM
It was nothing more than a blown fuse. Go figure. I should have went with my gut and tore it apart myself.

Oh well, I'm really liking the 7300.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/24/06 09:09 PM
OK, who here feels dumb because we didn't think of that? <raises hand>

Well, I'm glad it's fixed...
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/24/06 10:09 PM
Well at least it's fixed. Now you have a spare and a nice new 7300 to boot. Not that bad a situation to be in.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/24/06 10:28 PM
I hate it when that happens!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/24/06 11:21 PM
Actually, Jack thought about it, but he forgot.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/25/06 12:05 AM
Forgot what?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/25/06 01:09 AM
huh?
Posted By: michael_d Re: HK 7200 found dead this AM - 02/25/06 01:22 AM
Oh I thought it was a fuse or the switch. When I called HK and asked them if there were any fusses that could pop, I got resistance and was told to just take to an "authorized" repair shop and if I decided to tear into it, they wouldn't warranty the thing. I actually started pulling screws but was leaving little nicks and figured I'd better not go any further. The video processing on the 7300 is pretty damn cool. Plus, I no longer have that irritating delay when the receiver goes back and forth from analogue to digital. The 7200 will be on Audiogone before long.

© Axiom Message Boards