Axiom Home Page
Posted By: endish How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/29/06 10:21 PM
Two days into my m22s I'm already planning the next step: the subwoofer. My rec room is ~ 2300 cf and I'm using a Yamaha 5860 rxer @ 95 W/c.

In reading Alan's columns, I see he suggests sw power of full power for 1 channel and 1/8 power for the rest. This puts me ~ 165 W - in Axiom terms a 175.

Reviewing 175 notes, this may be small for my space. If I use the home theatre wizard, it suggests a 350.

At this point I haven't selected a manufacturer. I'm just trying to get a handle on how much i need.

Futureproofing is not much of a concern, since I don't see myself trying to fill a bigger space anytime soon. I'm just trying to ensure I don't short change my enjoyment in the space I have.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/29/06 10:37 PM
What is your price range?
Posted By: endish Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/29/06 11:05 PM
Honestly, as little as I can get away with without being cheap (if that makes sense). I don't want something that I'm immediately going to want to upgrade, but at the same time, there has to be a point where the incremental improvement from one model to the next is going to be that great.

Ideally C$500-700, but I'm trying not to get wrapped up in price at this point. I'm trying to get a handle on what is going to blend with my system.

Could I get a EP600. Sure. Would I get anywhere close to the potential out of it. Nope.
Posted By: BrenR Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/29/06 11:13 PM
In reply to:

I don't see myself trying to fill a bigger space anytime soon. I'm just trying to ensure I don't short change my enjoyment in the space I have.

Also depends on the amount you like to have your junk jiggled. I'm in an 1800 cuft room with a Hsu STF-2 (similar to the EP175), and balanced with the rest of the system, it runs at the first "tick" of 6 on the volume control on the back panel.

Most people (especially those that watch movies based more on soundtrack than story) run their subs "hot" because bass is cool.

The next 10 messages will all suggest the EP600.

Bren R.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/29/06 11:41 PM
I'd say the Hsu STF-2 and the SVS PB-10 are good contenders for solid all-around subs at a fair price. The SVS plays a little deeper.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/30/06 02:18 AM
I owned a 350 for about a year and used it upstairs in our 3000cf room, it did very good for that space. I also used it downstairs for a few months in my new HT/Recroom area that is almost 8,000cf and believe it or not, it had very respectible results. However, my new 500 blows me away for HT and music.

To me matching finish is important, so if you have 22's, you might as well get a matching sub color.
Posted By: endish Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/30/06 04:04 AM
Personally, I'm more about performance. But if the subwoofer matches the other speakers, I'm sure the boss would approve a budget increase!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/30/06 04:30 AM
There is always the Factory Outlet to save 10%.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/30/06 04:36 AM
I would have to agree with Randy. The ep350 is an excellent subwoofer and would do well in a room that size.
Posted By: endish Re: How much subwoofer do i need? - 01/30/06 11:52 AM
The performance of a sub is going to depend on the size of the driver, the amplifier power and the cabinet geometry.

What makes this a good choice for my room? All of the above? The amplifier power in particular?
© Axiom Message Boards