Axiom Home Page
Posted By: raz_la Calibrating my system - 02/07/06 05:54 PM
Due to budgetary constraints, I will have 2 M60's as fronts and a VP100 for my center channel. The 60's will be delivered in a couple more weeks, but I have a question...

Having this somewhat incomplete home theater system, is it necessary to calibrate it using an SPL meter?

Any recommendations on how to do it and with what meter would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Calibrating my system - 02/07/06 10:17 PM
If your AVR has an autosetup ability, or if you have an SPL meter, I think it would be a good think to run the pink noise tone tests and calibrate everything to the same dB's. It actually is pretty painless.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Calibrating my system - 02/07/06 10:59 PM
Either the Analog Radio Shack SPL Meter, or the Digital Radio Shack SPL Meter will do the job just fine. I prefer the digital meter, but others prefer the analog. You won't go wrong with either.

Essential Accessories: The Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter

A Quick Overview of Home Theater Calibration

Calibrating Your Home Theater System

How To Set Up a Subwoofer (or Subwoofers) for Home Theater

Subwoofer Setup Guide by Bossobass

Common Subwoofer Set-Up Errors by Edward J M

Posted By: oz350z Re: Calibrating my system - 02/08/06 02:25 AM
Jack
Thanks for posting these links. Good stuff!
oz
Posted By: Ajax Re: Calibrating my system - 02/08/06 03:50 AM
You're welcome. I've got the doggone things in a Word document, so it's no trouble to copy and paste 'em. As you can tell the question comes up often. Glad to help.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Calibrating my system - 02/08/06 03:52 AM
I thought those links and the poster looked familiar....
Posted By: Ajax Re: Calibrating my system - 02/08/06 04:03 AM
Well get used to 'em. I have a sneaking suspicion you'll see them again.................and again...................and again..........................and...

Seriously, you know that the question of calibration is one that will come up often. And, considering how important calibration is, I don't think we should mind answering that question. I know I don't.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Calibrating my system - 02/08/06 01:36 PM
Because this question is asked so much, it would be nice to have this post as a sticky on this forum. But I'm not sure if this forum has that capability.
© Axiom Message Boards