Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rdodolak Bad woofer - 02/14/06 02:51 AM
I recently purchased a pair of Millennia M60ti's before Christmas. Recently, the sound coming from the speakers wasn't sounding right. Upon further inspection the bottom woofer on one of the speakers isn't working. I've already sent an email to Amie, but how common is it to receive a bad speaker or to have one go bad?
Posted By: Wid Re: Bad woofer - 02/14/06 02:58 AM
I would have to say a woofer going bad in not a very common thing. I have only read a couple of times that this has happened. No worries Axiom will take care of the problem, their CS is second to none.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bad woofer - 02/14/06 03:48 AM
RD, welcome. Yes, a bad woofer isn't very common and although this wouldn't apply if it's just one of the two woofers which isn't working, double check to be sure that the connecting strap on the terminals is tight.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bad woofer - 02/14/06 05:14 AM
You could always call the 800# and talk to Joe, Brent, Tom, or any of the technical oncall folks. Amie, is great at getting back to you, but she most likely will consult the people they hire to resolve technical issues.

As John mentioned, check the gold strap between the speaker terminals on the back of the 60's. Most likely this is not it, if only one woofer is not working. Axiom may have you pull out the driver to make sure everything is hooked up.

Posted By: rdodolak Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 12:30 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.

Sirquack mentioned pulling out the driver to check the connections, I was initially a bit leary at first not knowing how the speakers/cabinet was built. In the end I removed the lower woofer and it was pretty easy (just 4 screws.) To my surprise the red wire was completely disconnected from the woofer. I reconnected it, which is now snuggly attached to the speaker, and the woofer is working as it should.

Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 12:34 AM
And another problem solved on the Axiom boards.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 12:38 AM
rdodolak, that is great news. I'm glad it was nothing more serious. You might want to let Axiom know, just so they realize the speaker went out un-connected on that terminal.

Who knows they might want to track by the serial number to see what assembly line it came off of...

I'm glad my advice finally paid off for someone, enjoy those speakers man...
Posted By: rdodolak Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 12:42 AM
sirquack,

Yes, I also sent an email to Amie and Brent describing my findings.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 12:52 AM
Taa Daa!!! Another guy good with his hands solves the problem! I too am glad it wasn't worse.

Good listening!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 01:24 AM
>>just so they realize the speaker went out un-connected on that terminal

It is also possible the wire was knocked off in shipment. The battle between better armour (packaging materials) and better bullets (clumsy couriers) continues to be fought every day in our warehouses and shipping docks
Posted By: BrenR Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 02:00 AM
Again, I've probably had as many shipments from Axiom as anyone, since I ordered my 6.1 piecemeal plus had some other stuff shipped with my address as the destination.

I'm constantly flabberghasted how shipping companies manage to damage products. I've had 3 damaged speakers shipped (two QS4s and an M22) and it really takes some doing. The Axiom "suspension" packaging is really good... but the dockworkers seem to find a way... including what looked like hitting the M22 carton with a pallet-jack fork.

Bren R.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 02:09 AM
Yep... "a better idiot" beats "idiot-proof" every day ;(

Didn't you have a different avatar a few minutes ago ?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 05:20 AM
In reply to:

Didn't you have a different avatar a few minutes ago ?

Yeah, it was just there to reinforce one post... realize I forgot to change it back.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Bad woofer - 02/15/06 03:56 PM
I'm thinking of amassing a collection of emotive avatars so I can choose looks appropriate to my mood. If only it were easier to change avatars on the fly...
© Axiom Message Boards