Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Frequency Response - 02/26/06 08:19 PM
What exactly does the frequency response in a speakers specs. mean? And what should you be looking for in a speaker? I'm asking because I noticed the response in my surrounds are 80 Hz to 20 kHz, not sure what it means or if I'm missing something in sound quality.
Posted By: Wid Re: Frequency Response - 02/26/06 08:38 PM

Understanding frequency response
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Frequency Response - 02/26/06 10:53 PM
Thanks Rick.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Frequency Response - 02/26/06 11:42 PM
Thanks Rick....

When trying to decide where to set the crossover, which range should I use for the Axiom speakers as they list two results, +-3db and +3-9db, one showing a much lower frequencies...?
Posted By: Wid Re: Frequency Response - 02/26/06 11:49 PM
I would select the +/-3dB rating. When I was searching around for what crossover point to use for my M80s I read that going 10Hz up from the +/-3dB rating is a good place to start.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Frequency Response - 02/27/06 09:41 PM
A change of 3 dB is barely perceivable, and 10 dB change is twice or half as loud. A +/- 3 dB spec is best to go off of, as it is a smaller tolerance to ruler flat linear frequency response.

A speaker frequency spec of +3/-9 dB gives you an idea of the roll off at the bottom end. The lower range at -9 dB is just a little over half as loud as the rest of the upper frequencies.
© Axiom Message Boards