Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak HDCP - 03/25/06 04:45 AM
Anyone know if there is any truth to the part about HDDVD and Blue Ray? Are they trying to force us to buy TV's that support the copy encrpytion? Do all new TV's support this anyway?

http://www.octavainc.com/HDCP.htm

Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 05:02 AM
Yes, it's true. And no, probably no current TVs will fully support the standard, since it's not finalized yet (afaik). I could be wrong on the second part.

Basically, what HDCP lets studios do is set whether input can be degraded out of the analog outs, turn off the non HDCP digital outs, etc.

Enjoy spending thousands on new equipment, everyone...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 05:05 AM
That's got to be the most friendly article I've read on the topic. Yeah, studios really need to guard against consumers! Evil, evil consumers...

For a different take on the topic (decidedly less positive), check out this and this.

I'm sure there's more floating around Arstechnica, but their search function stinks...
Posted By: BrenR Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 08:37 AM
Yet another gong show that makes "flipping the b*tch" on television and going back to reading books and having conversations look like the best way of spending an evening.

Protecting themselves right out of a market.

Bren R.
Posted By: ratpack Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 02:30 PM
Well, the consumer can always decide to not consume. If enough of us don't buy that junk, they will get the message, eventually.
Posted By: Zarak Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 03:50 PM
I think the average consumer will not know enough not to consume.
Posted By: ratpack Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 03:53 PM
While you may be correct, there are examples of it happening.
Posted By: Zarak Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 04:54 PM
So, if I had to buy today I would be getting the Sony 50" SXRD. Any word on if that one is compliant?
Posted By: ratpack Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 09:23 PM
Short answer is that I don't know.

Longer answer is that I think that the Blue Ray and other is supposed to transmit (via HDMI, I believe) a 1080P signal. My SXRD will only receive 1080I or 720P via the HDMI port. The Sony takes this signal and then converts it to 1080P.

I suspect that you would be able to setup the Blue Ray devices to transmit at other than 1080P. If so, it would not be an issue.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 09:55 PM
does this mean even if you have a hdmi input on your tv you may not be able to use a blue ray or hd dvd player?

if that is the case who is responsible for the tv i bought that was supposed to be ready for the new wave of dvd players?

Posted By: HomeDad Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 10:00 PM
Most your newer HDTV's that have HDMI connections are HDCP compliant. The owners manual should tell you one way or the other.
Posted By: Zarak Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 10:46 PM
You will be able to use it at 1080i, but if your port is not hdcp compliant then depending on the content you will not even get that quality or it could be blocked all together, depending on what the maker of the DVD has it set to work with a non compliant device. At least, that is what it seems from what I have read.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/25/06 10:46 PM
Assuming they don't change the standard again. And guess who's responsible? You are. No one's going to "fix" it for you. And if your TV isn't compliant? Well, guess you've got to buy a new one!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 12:59 AM
If BlueRay or HDDVD attempt to force a standard change, Imho they will be out of business before they start, their only chance of survival is to conform to the millions of consumers who in the past couple years have already upgraded to HDTV's.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 01:56 AM
i just read my instruction booklet,i have the hdcp already
it also has a upgrade card slot-anyone care to guess what the hell that might be for?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 01:59 AM
Cablecard, I'm guessing? See this article.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:04 AM
nah,it has a cable card slot right next to it

it will probably end up being a connection so you can hook up a credit card machine so my wife can shop ALL day

hey...wait a min....did i just invent something??????
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:08 AM
Wow, got me. Guess they might be more ready than this cynic thought.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:16 AM
Well for the good folks who don't have HDCP there are always these.
LINK
LINK
I like the second one
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:23 AM
Sadly, the article that surrounds that second link contains pretty scary/awful/irritating/horrible info about HDCP.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:26 AM
I couldn't agree more, next they will have a device that detonates your TV if you try to avoid their security precautions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/26/06 02:27 AM
That was suggested for computers... by a US senator. I am not making this up.
Posted By: INANE Re: HDCP - 03/27/06 05:30 AM
If you live in the States and want to help make a difference in the issue of copy protection and fair use in general PLEASE go here and fill out the form. It will automatically send an email to your state's rep.

In fact (I am fanactical about this issue) send this link to friends and family, the masses are uninformed, everyone needs to try to change that.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HDCP - 03/27/06 05:54 AM
I'm in.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDCP - 03/27/06 06:20 AM
Done. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who knows/cares about that sort of thing around here.
© Axiom Message Boards