Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/13/07 01:56 AM
Italian cellist Giovanni Solima plays his original composition 'Daydream' in this video. The effects are pretty well done a suit the music. It comes in two parts.

Part 1

Part 2
Posted By: JohnK Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/13/07 03:00 AM
Hmmm. Peter, it looks like he could almost play Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 all by himself.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/14/07 11:52 PM
That guy's got just a wee bit of talent...holy cow.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/17/07 05:24 PM
I could do without the fx, but the music was beautiful!

Calling JohnK: Where can I get a cd with this piece?

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 02:48 AM
I agree, Craig. I'd like to find a worthy cd, too.

JohnK, we demand answers!!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 05:10 AM
Craig and Sean, answer demanded and delivered: checking the Sollima discography , it appears that neither of his compositions, i.e. "Terra Aria" and "Concerto Rotondo", which are on the "Daydream" music video, have been recorded commercially. Listening to some brief samples on Amazon, there didn't seem to be much of interest. So, there's plenty of nice cello music available, but nothing relating to this.

Incidentally, my reference to the Bachianas in the reply to Peter was because the accompaniment there is by eight cellos(aka celli). This work is included in the most beautiful vocal recording that I've ever heard, the Moffo/ Stokowski collection.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 05:21 AM
Thanks JohnK. The Moffo/Stokowski collection sounds wonderful, at least the little snippets I heard from Amazon. I have yet to own an "opera" type cd (I don't know what the proper terminology is)--or vocal recording--but I find it immensely pleasing.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 05:28 AM
Yeah, the Amazon reviews there are certainly right on target. This is an absolutely essential disc that I've given several times as presents. It's only easily available now by way of the Arkiv reissue, which unfortunately doesn't include Stokowski's rather interesting notes.
Posted By: speakergrrl Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 07:37 PM
{Ever seen a six-armed cellist?}

No, but give him my phone number, he seems very skilled with his hands. All 6 (or did I see 8?) of them.

Do you think he has six trouser snakes?
Posted By: richeydog Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 11:02 PM
Quote:

That would be three too many. One trouser snake for each pair of hands.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/18/07 11:30 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That would be three too many. One trouser snake for each pair of hands.

Double your pleasure, double your fun!

Actually, you need the free hands to lean against the wall, click the mouse, etc...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/19/07 01:44 AM
you guys are too much for even me...
Posted By: michael_d Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/19/07 05:51 PM
Wow….

That’s freaking wonderful ear candy. I can’t get that on a CD hu?? I’m not even a classical guy and keep listening to that over and over. - Part one anyway.

It sorta reminds me of the sound track of The Last Mohicans. I love that sound track (as well as the movie).
Posted By: JohnK Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/20/07 03:30 AM
Yeah Mike, despite the reference to a CD in the end-credits on the video, none appears in Sollima's discography or in other commercial sources(maybe buried deep somewhere in Italy?).

That work appears to fall in the "minimalist" camp of modern classical music, involving repetition of the same rhythmic pattern with relatively little variation. You may like either that pattern or the sound of the cello itself, so I'll give you some possible candidates(out of hundreds). A nice cello collection(not minimalist)is Nigun , based on(you guessed it)various Jewish themes. An interesting example of minimalist string music is Philip Glass's music for Dracula . Another cellist in the minimalist or post-minimalist school is Maya Beiser who has several CDs readily available. If you want, you can listen to the samples on Tower or the longer ones that Amazon gives.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Ever seen a six-armed cellist? - 05/20/07 05:01 PM
Thanks John. Have you heard the sound track of The Last of the Mohicans? It may be simple repetition I like, but I think I’m more impressed with the harmony of all the different notes. I like the sound of the cello too.

I listened to the links and prefer the Dracula the best, with the Maya second and didn't care for the first one too much. If Maya would loose the Indian stuff, I'd like her more.
© Axiom Message Boards