Axiom Home Page
Posted By: doormat Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:31 AM
Being one of those wacky shift workers I'll be off the week before Christmas (but get to work the week of) so I'm heading to Calgary 18-24 Dec to visit the folks. I know it's kind of a crazy, hectic time, but would anyone have a spare hour or two to audition M80s/60s/22s? I've got the M3s, which are great, but I'd kinda like to hear what the "more detailed, less forgiving" line sounds like.

PS
I never show up anywhere without a case of premium beer.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:45 AM
Sure, come on over. Perhaps Jason or Al (or both :)) can also bring over 22s.
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:48 AM
Acers, dude!

Just make sure the aliens have cleared out first.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 10:01 AM
You can come by here anytime as well or we will meet at Mojo's. The 18th - 21st works best for me and daytime hours as well. Beyond the 21st I have zero spare time.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 03:08 PM
For me:

18: 9 to 3 or after 7
19: anytime after 7
20: anytime
21: anytime before 4
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:05 PM
Depending upon what you mean by "premium beer", I might be willing to drive my M60's up from Tacoma.

\:\)

Okay, not really, but I am jealous that you guys get to share each other's company. Have a great time.
Posted By: RickF Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:23 PM
Makes you just want to pack up and move to Canada, doesn't it Tom?

\:D
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:30 PM
 Quote:
Depending upon what you mean by "premium beer", I might be willing to drive my M60's up from Tacoma.

Ok, that was mostly just to get people to respond in a positive light. I tend towards Guinness myself, or the Big Rock family, 'though I've been drinking a lot of the Vancouver Island stuff lately. What can I say, I support local brewing (and huge international brewers). I suppose for Mojo I could grab some of that eastern AKW swill. Guess I'll have to search out the beer thread for what j/w drinks.
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 06:43 PM
My schedule is relatively open right now so daytime on the 18th easily works for me.

That'll be fun too: I can have my dad pick me up at the airport and my first words can be "It's great to see you but what I'd really like is to borrow the car keys. See ya later. Can I have them, please?"
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 09:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrotherBob
Makes you just want to pack up and move to Canada, doesn't it Tom?

As Roger Moore showed in his movie..."we keep our doors unlocked up here in Canada"

NOT!!!!!!

Paul
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 10:09 PM
I am glad it isn't today, I have been puking my guts out since 2AM. The whole household is sick.

So far what I drink, mostly water and Coke zero. I know how boring. Alcohol doesn't like me much.
Posted By: ctown Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 10:33 PM
Keep me in the loop if you need my M22's. I'm back to work next week so will probably be busy, but can always be flexible and fit in a listening session if I'm not on the road.

As for Beer, I had some Van Island "Race Rocks" while in Victoria last year and it was good. I also had a coffee porter from Alley Cat brewing in Edmonton, they put coffee beans in primary fermentaion and its really unique. I'm a huge fan of stuff from Nelson BC, http://www.nelsonbrewing.com

They make a winter ale called "Faceplant", a Paddywhack IPA that is hoppy but smooth and an oatmeal stoudt with a touch of chocolate malt and crystal malt which drinks like barley mocha.

For the Washington crew, have you ever tried anything from Alaska Brewing co?? They have a smoked porter that is smooth and flavourful.

OK, gotta stop this or I'll be back in rehab.

Enjoy the trip to Cowtown.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 10:37 PM
That would be MICHAEL MOORE, the filmmaker from Flint, MI.. not Roger Moore, the 80s James Bond.

Bren R.
Posted By: ctown Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 10:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
That would be MICHAEL MOORE, the filmmaker from Flint, MI.. not Roger Moore, the 80s James Bond.

Bren R.

Roger Moore was in Bond films?!?!?!?

I thought he was best knows for Cannonball Run \:o
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/12/07 11:14 PM
Michael Moore as Bond.

Hilarious.

Thanks for the tip on the BC beers. I wish we could get them here. I used to drink Warthog when it was distributed more widely.

We definitely get the Alaskan beers. I think the draught versions are so much better than bottled that I just cannot bring myself to buy the latter except in emergencies.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 01:27 AM
Doormat, I just thought of something, as I am very close to the airport 5-10 min west and north, when you come in, you and your dad could drop by for a quck listen and then we can do an all out sonic assault at Mojo's.
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 01:56 AM

Quote:
Doormat, I just thought of something, as I am very close to the airport 5-10 min west and north, when you come in, you and your dad could drop by for a quck listen and then we can do an all out sonic assault at Mojo's.

I'm actually flying in late Monday night, but asking for the keys for the next day didn't really work as well with the quote.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 02:22 AM
New times for me:

18: 9 to 3 or after 7
19: anytime after 7
20: anytime after 4
21: anytime before 4
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 03:38 AM
The 18th or the 21st by Mojo's times are best for me, preferably 1:00ish but you guys could start when ever you want. I will bring the M22s.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 03:07 PM
Thanks for the correction, Micheal Moore made a movie called in the late 80's called "Roger and Me", and I gotten his first name wrong on more that one occasion.

Paul
Posted By: Murph Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 05:27 PM
As mentioned in another recent post, we used to always leave our doors unlocked as a kid.

Now, I lock my doors every day when I leave but if I forget, I wouldn't bother to turn the car around to fix it. If I forget to lock them at night, I also wouldn't bother getting out of bed to do that either.

Of course, I live in the country, about 30 minutes out from our 1 small city, in Canada's smallest and most laid back province.

It's certainly no utopia anymore, crime is starting to become more of a factor but it sure beats being in a big city.
Posted By: ctown Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 07:58 PM
A local comedian here is originally from L.A. and he has a bit about it being -30 in winter and he left his car running in the bank parking lot to keep it warm while he used the ATM. While he was walking back to the car counting his cash he realized that if back in LA he would have been shot, cash taken and car robbed.....its good schtick.

BTW Murph, my wife and I spent 5 days at Dalvay By the Sea on the North shore and we had a great time. Shellfish festival in Charlottetown, all the mussels, lobster, chowder and Clancy's I could handle. The people in PEI are great.
Posted By: Murph Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 08:11 PM
Dalvay is a beautiful spot. You were only about 15 minutes from my house. Hopefully you liked it enough to go back and you can drop by for some more beer and shellfish. If you don't mind getting your feet wet, you can get fresh mussels and oysters in my 'backyard'.

Side note: If a seagull drops a mussel shell on your head....duck and cover. It hurts!!!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/13/07 08:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
. You were only about 15 minutes from my house.

Isn't everyting on that Island only 15 minutes from your house!!

LOL

Paul
Posted By: Murph Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/14/07 02:17 PM
Oooooh Good Burn!

I'm relatively in the middle so between 1.5 to 2 hours to either tip, driving leisurely. 3 to 5 hours if it's Sunday and all the old folks are out touring around at 50-60km/hour.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/14/07 04:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

What about Robb? \:\(

I know I haven't been the most reliable in the past, but I can always see what I can do!! BTW, the 18th doesn't work, nore does the 21st. \:\)
Posted By: bridgman Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/15/07 05:27 PM
Yes, we're still waiting for Roger Moore's epic "Michael and Me".
Posted By: CV Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/15/07 05:30 PM
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 06:03 AM
So, gentleman, are we good for 18 Dec, Tuesday afternoon? It works well for me, but so do several other days so if anything's changed, I'm still pretty fluid (especially now that I've scored Dad's car for the week - ah, the aged; they'll do anything to get you to fly home for the holidays!).
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 06:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

What about Robb? \:\(

I know I haven't been the most reliable in the past, but I can always see what I can do!! BTW, the 18th doesn't work, nore does the 21st. \:\)

Ah, crap.
Gee, Robb, way to make me feel guilty. That's why I hate organizing things, you can never get everyone.

Or maybe we should be sucking up to Robb? Wasn't he gonna do that 350/500 showdown at (framer2180) Greg's? Have we got a second day lined up for that?

There, Robb. Now you're in control!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 07:03 AM
Tuesday aft is good for me. I think Jason can make it around 1:30.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 03:40 PM
Tuesday afternoon or morning works for me, my son is off that day, so he will be with me but not a problem, that is what NintendoDS's are for.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 09:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
Yes, we're still waiting for Roger Moore's epic "Michael and Me".

Now that was funny!!!

Good one Bridgman.

Paul
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/17/07 11:30 PM
Well, I'm now available anytime all day so I'll leave it to you to come up with a specific timing (ha! - I learned the fine art of passing the buck while working for the gov't!)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/18/07 01:55 AM
It's up to you Tex, 9AM is a bit too early for me, but I can be there by 9:30 so from that time on is good for me.
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/21/07 06:11 PM
Thanks Tex/Jason/Greg for the hospitality, demos, perspectives and input!
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/21/07 06:15 PM
Oh, I also noticed that A&B north had a Denon 3806 floor model for ~$1300 (not sure on differences with 3808).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/21/07 07:06 PM
It was a pleasure to meet you and I wish i could have stuck around longer.

3806 vs 3808 HDMI1.1 vs 1.3a, no GUI on the 3806 for starters.

But Santa will be very good to me this year. I couldn't wait.

Mark, were you in town till Christmas?
Posted By: ctown Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/21/07 08:55 PM
Hey Doormat et al. Wish I could have made it, but had to work 2 days this week and that was one of them:)

What were your thoughts on the M22's vs your M3's. I'm still probably getting myself some 3's for another room, but love my M22's.

What did you think of the M80/EP600 setup that Mojo has? I had a standup fridge in university that was smaller than the EP600. Kept the beer cold but didnt shake the room like that...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/21/07 09:51 PM
What is everyones schedule like after New Year's? I am off from New Year's till the 7th maybe another GTG to check out Mojo's audiobytes and my 3808?
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/23/07 03:36 AM
 Quote:
It was a pleasure to meet you and I wish i could have stuck around longer.

3806 vs 3808 HDMI1.1 vs 1.3a, no GUI on the 3806 for starters.

But Santa will be very good to me this year. I couldn't wait.

Mark, were you in town till Christmas?

So 3806 is pointless, then. Good to know.

Yeah, I fly back at 0dark30 Christmas morning.
Posted By: doormat Re: Vacationing in sunny, exotic Calgary - 12/23/07 04:01 AM
 Quote:
Hey Doormat et al. Wish I could have made it, but had to work 2 days this week and that was one of them:)

What were your thoughts on the M22's vs your M3's. I'm still probably getting myself some 3's for another room, but love my M22's.

What did you think of the M80/EP600 setup that Mojo has? I had a standup fridge in university that was smaller than the EP600. Kept the beer cold but didnt shake the room like that...

For an easy listening speaker, I think it would be hard to beat the M3. I now look forward daily to working out in my cavernous, unfinished basement (rather than my previous dread and get it over with mindset) with the M3 2.0 setup. The M22s greater clarity? Perhaps; hard to say without having them side by side. The M3 certainly doesn't require a sub for most pop/rock music. Any "other room" would certainly benefit from their use. I'm still debating what to get for my computer room, leaning towards 22, but may spring for 80s. Or maybe buy a house first. I'm sure the adjoining tenants would prefer that.

The M80 is certainly a formidable speaker, but I just don't think I could bring myself to shell out for the 600 (I had a hard enough time justifying the 350). It sure is powerful, although it turns out I was more impressed with the sustained engine rumbling than I was with depth charges. Must be my pacifist leanings coming to the fore.
© Axiom Message Boards