Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SatKartr Speaker of the Year - 12/25/08 11:30 PM
I was thinking about the Maggie 1.6's but decided to go with the Axiom solution because I wanted an integrated HT setup, maybe I will eventually go with the MMG for a bedroom HT or home study stereo setup. I did notice with running the M80s on their own that the issue of "speaker as (2 separate) box(es)" was audible (which was the only criticism I read in online reviews of the M80s and where the Maggies supposedly excel); I chalked it up to the incredible accuracy, precision, and focus of the M80s for which perhaps the tradeoff is excessive on-axis imagery/location-inside-the-box, if you want to couch a strength as a weakness. With the Vp150 and 4 Qs8s, there is not much of a soundstage issue, which fits with what Alan has explained in one of his articles as to the AE history/theory re: 3- and 5- (and beyond) versus 2-(stereo) speaker setups, for lack of a better phrase; however, I have to wonder, why do folks run two centers and/or turn up the center speaker? I find myself turning down the center so I can have a louder overall sound and groove on the soundtrack coming through the M80s without being blown away by the prima donnas or talking heads (or commercials) front and center, and I never have an issue of intelligibility, sorry off topic . . .

Speaker of the Year
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Speaker of the Year - 12/26/08 08:09 AM
Hmmm, this is way in the wrong thread isn't it!? \:D
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Speaker of the Year - 12/28/08 03:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: SatKartr
Hmmm, this is way in the wrong thread isn't it!? \:D

Maybe but what the heck! ;\)

Those are interesting thoughts of yours. Actually I am hoping to check out the M80's real soon and I am hoping to get away with just a set of towers for both music and movies for some time. Actually hoping to leave the centers for last of maybe not even at all.
Posted By: myrison Re: Speaker of the Year - 12/28/08 01:35 PM
The M80s are an amazingly capable set of standalone speakers. Whenever I run them full range I am always amazed at the amount of bass they can put out.

Jason
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker of the Year - 12/28/08 03:59 PM
The 80's will do fine alone, with no center channel they will simulate the center channel in phantom mode. For movies you will need surround speakers though.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Speaker of the Year - 12/28/08 09:35 PM
I run my M80s full range and they really do provide alot of bass for my small apartment. My next purchase will be QS8 surrounds, then the centre and sub.

I used to have a full Axiom 5.1 setup, and the component I miss the most (from my current one) is the surrounds. Surrounds really add so much sound information to the movie. I didn't realize that until I "downgraded" in my move to California, and bought two M80s...and no surrounds.
© Axiom Message Boards