Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Doj Dewd calgary audition - 12/30/09 01:51 AM
hey all,

new to the site forums here, but have been browsing the producs pages for a LONG time now.

after doing a boat load of research - i have decided to with an axiom grand master 500 system. only problem is, i have never heard any axiom speakers. i have just been told that they sound great.

anyone here have a setup similar to what i am looking at? or any setup just for the sake of listening to the sound of the axiom product?

i am in NE calgary . . .
Posted By: Adrian Re: calgary audition - 12/30/09 02:04 AM
Welcome Doj, there are a couple of Axiomites in the Calgary area, I'm sure one of them will offer up an audition for you.

Jay!....hint....hint....
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 12/30/09 05:51 AM
Doj I can accomodate you but not till the end of January beginning of February as my speakers, heck my entire house is in storage while I wait for my new house to be completed. If you can wait that long I can provide a demo worth waiting for \:\)

I can give you a small demo of the M22's and Vp100 as I have access to those.

Check your PM's
Posted By: Doj Dewd Re: calgary audition - 12/30/09 11:45 AM
Jay,

thanx for the reply. i can wait a while as i too am going to be building a new house. september possession - so no rush whatsoever right now. a listen to the m22's would be great in the meantime though. i'll check my PM's . . . .
Posted By: onn Re: calgary audition - 12/30/09 12:39 PM
If your ever up this way you can stop by for a listen (Edmonton)
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 12/30/09 07:24 PM
Doj, when ever you have some time give me a few days notice so I can re-aquire my M22s/VP100, I lent them to a friend while I am without a house.

I would recommend you take onn up on his offer, he has an incredible system, it looks as good as it sounds \:\)
Posted By: Doj Dewd Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 02:36 AM
holy freakin' smokes!!!

onn - what the heck is wrong with you . . . . that looks amazing. i hope the listening chair is solid and not on wheels!!!

the SPL you must have in the house must have broken a window or two by now!!

dare i even ask - how does it sound??
Posted By: Doj Dewd Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 02:37 AM
jay,

i'll give you a heads up (probably via PM) when i think i can make it by . . .
Posted By: onn Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 03:25 AM
Hi Doj Dewd
The highest dB I've gotten to is 90 - 95. I don't think the neigbours would appreciate it if I went up to Micah sound levels. It is nice to feel the floor shake every once and a while though. \:\) When Jay was up last summer my system was setup a little different than it is now. A whole lot better I think. Once I get my new amps for my EP800's I just may break some windows.
Posted By: Doj Dewd Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 06:58 AM
are you replacing the amps in the subs??

also, how do you like the oppo player? i was thinking of going with one when i need one . . .

jason
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 07:46 AM
Maybe by the time we get together I will have the oppo-83 as I think I am going to get one instead of a PS3 or any other BR player. I am not too happy with the load times ( a good minute) of the BDP1600 I picked up on boxing day.
Posted By: onn Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 12:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: Doj Dewd
are you replacing the amps in the subs??

They are available and I have talked to Brent and he has told me I have one on the way and I don't know when the other one will ship. If what Steve says about the performance of the new amp is true I will be very happy (not that I'm sad right now either) man \:\)

Originally Posted By: Doj Dewd
how do you like the oppo player? i was thinking of going with one when i need one . . .

jason

I'm happy with my OPPO. Great load times. Plays all my disks. (SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD) If your interested in Netflex I doubt the OPPO will be getting that feature in the near future but you never know.
Posted By: onn Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 12:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Maybe by the time we get together I will have the oppo-83 as I think I am going to get one instead of a PS3 or any other BR player. I am not too happy with the load times ( a good minute) of the BDP1600 I picked up on boxing day.

Jay, if your just going to use the player for DVD's and Blurays I wouldn't worry about the load times too much. If you plan on getting SACD's and DVD-A's I'd opt for the OPPO.
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 12/31/09 05:21 PM
I would like to get into multi-channel music but it is not a requirement for me at the momment, no discs as of yet thus no player needed or is it the other way around? I think part of me just wants to be able to say I have an Oppo for a dvd/BR player
Posted By: Redsands Re: calgary audition - 02/01/10 07:15 PM
Hi jakewash and Doj Dewd, I'm also in Calgary and I was wondering if I'd be able to get in on your audition. I'm looking to purchase some m60s or 80s, a vp150, either an ep350 or 500 or possibly larger and the dipole rears. I'm especially interested in hearing your sub as I don't have a large theater room and I'm not sure which size to get. Let me know if this is a possibility!
Thanks,
John
Posted By: SirQuack Re: calgary audition - 02/01/10 07:24 PM
Actually they are not dipole, but a quadpolar design... \:\)
Posted By: grunt Re: calgary audition - 02/01/10 07:59 PM
Axiom can call them what they wish but the standard definition of a bipole speaker is a speaker with 2 or more drivers facing in different directions all firing in phase. So more accurately they are bipole speakers with 4 drivers. Which is one of the reasons when someone calls them “quadrapolar” in other forums many people don’t know what it means.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 02:41 AM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/surroundsexplained.html
Posted By: grunt Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 06:21 AM
Made my point perfectly. “Axiom can call them what they want . . . .” ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 08:03 PM
Hi John, I am currently in moving mode, new home!!!, but in a week or 2 I should be able to give you an audition of M22s, M80s, VP100 and 150 and the QS8s. My sub is an SVS PB13 Ultra. Maybe if the timing is right the 3 of us could get together for an afternoon \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 09:26 PM
The only bipole's I've ever used or heard have front/rear that depending if your going side or rear you turn the speaker to give you the difuse sound, they don't include tweeters or have top/bottom firing woofer all in phase with the tweeters, so to me that is different, not a twist of words.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 10:04 PM
My first wife was a bipole.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 10:07 PM
That actually sounds really bad, or good, depending on your bedroom tastes.
Posted By: Redsands Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 10:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Hi John, I am currently in moving mode, new home!!!, but in a week or 2 I should be able to give you an audition of M22s, M80s, VP100 and 150 and the QS8s. My sub is an SVS PB13 Ultra. Maybe if the timing is right the 3 of us could get together for an afternoon \:\)

That sounds great jakewash! I leave for sunny orlando on the 15th and don't get back until the 29th so before or after that would be great for me. Congrat's on the new home, we are getting into basement development mode to quell our itch for new home mode!

Thank you for your willingness to help out complete strangers, it's appreciated.
Posted By: Redsands Re: calgary audition - 02/02/10 10:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
My first wife was a bipole.

Now that's funny.
Posted By: grunt Re: calgary audition - 02/03/10 07:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
The only bipole's I've ever used or heard have front/rear that depending if your going side or rear you turn the speaker to give you the difuse sound, they don't include tweeters or have top/bottom firing woofer all in phase with the tweeters, so to me that is different, not a twist of words.

It's not about twisting words it's about being understood and how one's
comments are perceived. Telling someone that a speaker is "quadpole" is
meaningless w/o a common understanding of the term. Had you linked to
Axiom's explanation in the first post I would have had nothing to say about
it.

Since the term "quadpole" (IMO Axiom marketing jargon) is largely unknown in
the audio lexicon, people invariably ask what it means. I have seen this
happen in several posts on other forums where a happy Axiom owner recommends
their "quadpole" speakers to which someone invariably asks WTF is that. In
each case the Axiom owner couldn't or didn't explain the details of the
design and ended up looking like an uninformed fanboy who bought their
speakers based on a marketing slogan and not any real understanding of the
design and why it works so well.

While I care less how any individual is perceived I do care about how Axiom
owners represent our community especially on other forums. Unknowing
owners repeating marketing slogans simply feeds the impression some other
brand's owners would like to spread about Axiom being a poor performing
marketing driven brand. So instead of a quick quip, how about we help
educated new forum members so they can better represent the Axiom community.
Posted By: jakewash Re: calgary audition - 03/17/10 03:59 PM
Just thought I would resurect this posting and state my system is up and running, so for those that have been enquiring about auditions send me a PM. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards