Posted By: Gr8_White_North whoo hoo - 01/09/12 08:58 PM
XPA-3 on the way, my M's are gunna love it. smile
Posted By: SirQuack Re: whoo hoo - 01/09/12 09:06 PM
to much for the m2's
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/09/12 11:01 PM
m80's
Posted By: merchman Re: whoo hoo - 01/09/12 11:07 PM
Great news Richard!

Be sure to keep us updated on how it performs after you give it a good run through.

Should be an awesome setup.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/09/12 11:50 PM
probly OVER KILL but like my hotrods, ya just cant have too much power. I like to keep power in reserve,improves my listening and driving experience. Its coming fedex so i have to practice my patience.
Posted By: merchman Re: whoo hoo - 01/09/12 11:53 PM
Well, at least it's only one box this time.

You will definitely have reserve power with that amp.

Hope you get it quick and can be rocking out by the weekend.
Posted By: Wid Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 12:06 AM

No over kill, the M80s love lots of power. You're in for a treat.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 01:39 AM
Im totally stoked. Its doesnt leave till tomorrow and it is coming from Tennessee. Damn i had to google that lol. So probly middle next week. The Denon i have is 8 or 6 ohm and it does fine with 4 ohm but that how i justified the purchase.The sale had ended but they gave me the holiday price since i had been shopping them out during christmas, which was nice of them imho.
Posted By: SBrown Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 01:49 AM
It will probably be longer than that, knowing customs...so don't freak.LOL
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 02:41 AM
Yeah , hopefully learned my lesson lol. I get quite a bit of stuff from the US so i know what its like to get things through customs.
Posted By: dakkon Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 05:18 AM
they wont be over kill...

I have 250W @8 ohm and 500W @4 ohm krells powering my M60's... and the M80's can handle more power..

And your right, you can never have "too much" power.
Posted By: J. B. Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 11:28 AM
i have 700 Watts/ch/4 Ohms for my M80's, but of course, with the size of my room (about 1400 cu.ft), i have lots of reserve power.

the max power this amp has taken so far from the wall receptacle is around 575 Watts, playing Super 8 Blu-ray at reference level.
no sweat at all...
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/10/12 04:33 PM
Holy ,this thing weighs in at 71lbs. Glad im not the one haveing to pack it around. Got the fedex notification this am,it coming fedex ground. Let the waiting begin smile
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/11/12 03:28 PM
This is unbelieveable, its in Richmond B.C already, with an expected delivery date of Jan 13th. I hope fedex isn't playin with me here. lmao

OMG revelation, it's coming on FRIDAY the 13th NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO
Posted By: Adrian Re: whoo hoo - 01/11/12 04:57 PM
And it will be delivered by a Fedex driver named Jason.
Posted By: Adrian Re: whoo hoo - 01/11/12 05:02 PM
Chhh....chhh....chhh!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: whoo hoo - 01/12/12 05:50 AM
I don't work for Fed Ex. ... oh wait..THAT Jason, he's not me either.
Posted By: SBrown Re: whoo hoo - 01/14/12 01:22 AM
How is it Richard?
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/14/12 06:48 AM
The back story. On wednesday morning i tracked it and it showed in richmond bc. Later that day it was showing in Memphis. Called fedex they said the richmond thing was computer generated and it was still in memphis.Thursday morning got a call from fedex saying they needed the duty paid so customs would release it.Later that day it was released from customs and then no further tracking updates.Made some calls to fedex in town,it showed up on the plane late this afternoon(friday) and was not slated for delivery till monday. I met up with fedex driver(bill not jason) and he handed it over.

This thing is huge. it kinda sticks out on my stand,but it's on there and its stayin there. Got it all connected ,hit the power button ,nothing. im like oh crap. ha the power cord is really stiff and pulled out of the amp while i was routing it to the power center.

Listened to some tunes on internet radio , XS from scotland, they play really good tunes,same station i listen to at work as well. All i can say is there seems to be greater impact and clarity at higher volumes. I find i can understand the words to songs alot easier though i think thats more the M80's. We watched a movie at a decently high level and it sounded great and the amp was not even warm.

I am goin to rerun audyssey tomorrow just because.Once i do that i will connect my ipod and play some beatles i have that i converted to mp4 from the lossless iso's.I intend to start picking up some sacd's and music from hdtracks.com . More will be revealed.

All in all a pretty decent friday the 13th, even work went good. I was born on a friday the 13th so its kinda my day .)
Posted By: jakewash Re: whoo hoo - 01/14/12 05:50 PM
That was a happy unlucky day, glad you were able to get it before today to make for a more enjoyable weekend.
Posted By: casey01 Re: whoo hoo - 01/14/12 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Socketman
The back story. On wednesday morning i tracked it and it showed in richmond bc. Later that day it was showing in Memphis. Called fedex they said the richmond thing was computer generated and it was still in memphis.Thursday morning got a call from fedex saying they needed the duty paid so customs would release it.Later that day it was released from customs and then no further tracking updates.Made some calls to fedex in town,it showed up on the plane late this afternoon(friday) and was not slated for delivery till monday. I met up with fedex driver(bill not jason) and he handed it over.

This thing is huge. it kinda sticks out on my stand,but it's on there and its stayin there. Got it all connected ,hit the power button ,nothing. im like oh crap. ha the power cord is really stiff and pulled out of the amp while i was routing it to the power center.

Listened to some tunes on internet radio , XS from scotland, they play really good tunes,same station i listen to at work as well. All i can say is there seems to be greater impact and clarity at higher volumes. I find i can understand the words to songs alot easier though i think thats more the M80's. We watched a movie at a decently high level and it sounded great and the amp was not even warm.

I am goin to rerun audyssey tomorrow just because.Once i do that i will connect my ipod and play some beatles i have that i converted to mp4 from the lossless iso's.I intend to start picking up some sacd's and music from hdtracks.com . More will be revealed.

All in all a pretty decent friday the 13th, even work went good. I was born on a friday the 13th so its kinda my day .)

As someone who has done a fair amount of importation from the US, one always to take in to account, if anything is generated out of the US and the shipper is one of the majors(FedEx,UPS) no matter where it originates from, it will go through its main depot(in this case, Memphis) and if you see something showing up quite quickly at the Canadian border point, it is generally only the paperwork sent in advance for customs clearance. It is , more than likely, still in transit in the US where it might go through another one or two more depots before it even reaches the border.

I recently ordered a package from a reseller in New York City via UPS and it went through Indianapolis(UPS main depot). Seems kind of silly since they went West before they headed North but, strangely enough, that is the way they do it.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/14/12 09:37 PM
i hear ya. i buy a fair amount from down south only because its not available here. i ordered some ir emitters and they went from oregon to sacramento ,only took 5 days lol. The amp originated in TN so that was good,it came by air and quite quickly all things considered.I tend to be a bit proactive with my shipments.

On a side note, i errantly put my amp on the middle glass shelf of my entertainment stand ,which was unsupported i might add. I must be one lucky sob cause it didnt break and im sure 70lbs is over its limit. This has now been corrected.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 12:43 AM

A pic of the new beast and rearrange yet again. [img:center][/img]

[img:center][/img]
Posted By: Wid Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 01:48 AM

Nice!
Posted By: merchman Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 01:55 AM
Looks great Richard.

Enjoy!

smile
Posted By: dakkon Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Socketman
We watched a movie at a decently high level and it sounded great and the amp was not even warm.

this is one of the benefits of having more power than you need... That is unless you have Class A amps... in which case you get 2 benefits, 1 being lots of power, and a secondary benefit of a space heater.

I am guessing the emotiva amps are class AB?
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 02:38 AM
no heat to the touch after a 2 hour movie. Will bring my infrared temp gun and see next time.And yes its class a/b.
Posted By: jakewash Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 03:42 AM
Looks good but the VP100 looks scared.
Posted By: RickF Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 03:55 AM
Nice setup Richard!
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 04:19 AM
i am in the process of designing and building my own center speaker. Waiting on a usb to xlr mic mate to show up so i can hook my behringer mic to my outboard sound card. I need to extract theil small parameters of the vp 100 drivers plus the v3 drivers left over from M80's. I will then use some crossover software from there. I have used google sketchup and designed a box, which i plan to cover in cherry veneer. Its a long cold winter here ,need to keep myself amused.
Posted By: jakewash Re: whoo hoo - 01/15/12 08:52 AM
Sounds like fun keep us updated on that speaker build
Posted By: dakkon Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 02:34 AM
Socket, i have 2 Class A Krell amps... i just temped them like you said with an infrared gun.

My amps at normal listening volume for me.. maybe 50db? My 3 channel amps is 107 degrees, and my 2 channel amp is 95 degrees... I knew my amps ran warm, but for some reason never though of temping them....
Posted By: Lampshade Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 02:44 AM
Darn it you guys. Now I have to buy one so I can measure the surface temp of my vacuum tubes. I will buy one this week.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 02:54 AM
i have one for work, and i love it. Stops me from pickin up stuff thats hot.Dakkon is that celcius or farenheit. I have noticed now when i watch movies that even when its loud it not at all annoying and i can listen to it much louder now. Will update once i retrieve my gun. btw its also great for the computer.
Posted By: dakkon Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 03:26 AM
I'm sorry, that is Fahrenheit.. I forget about you canadians with that strange metric/Celsius stuffs...

I actually keep a temp gun for an iron skillet that i use to grill fish and other meat on when it is 100+ degrees outside, or don't feel like starting a fire in the grill.

We had 100+ days of 100F degree weather this last summer, have to love Dallas weather....
Posted By: SBrown Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 04:22 AM
That's cooking.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 04:24 AM
Im still old school. I like farenheit and i changed the speedo in my car to MPH. I still do MPG that other way makes no sense. Litres per 100km. As for the heat, you can have it. Rode my motorcycle to pheonix one fall, 116 degree's thought i was going to melt laugh and yeah they are a handy tool and have alot of applications. Mostly use it on cooling system problems.

Thats a pretty decent temp on your amps,though i sure in that climate it can put a strain on the AC
Posted By: Lampshade Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 05:13 AM
Speedo? You wear one of those things? Now that I am in my 40's I have been thinking of getting one.
Posted By: BobKay Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 05:45 PM
I know a good divorce lawyer.

Tell Jay to call me and I'll give her his #.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: whoo hoo - 01/16/12 09:25 PM
i definetly know that at my age NO ONE wants to see me in a speedo. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
© Axiom Message Boards