Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF The Black Keys - 04/22/12 08:40 PM
I have really liked these guys every since I bought my first Black Keys disc (Chulahoma) about 5 or 6 years ago and now have all of their albums, I came across this CBS Sunday Morning clip from the CBS News website and thought I'd share with y'all. Pretty cool...

No longer the under dogs
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Black Keys - 04/22/12 09:52 PM
Their latest album, El Camino is fantastic. Starts off rolling and never lets up.
Posted By: michael_d Re: The Black Keys - 04/22/12 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Their latest album, El Camino is fantastic. Starts off rolling and never lets up.

+1
Posted By: Cork Re: The Black Keys - 04/23/12 10:03 PM
My son got me El Camino for my birthday a month back and I like it a lot too. He mentioned that it's the most staight-up rock of their releases and I'd like the others more; so I'll be sampling another soon. Any recos for the 2nd one?
Posted By: RickF Re: The Black Keys - 04/23/12 10:14 PM
One of my personal favorites is Rubber Factory ... Rubber Factory
Posted By: Murph Re: The Black Keys - 04/24/12 04:51 PM
Agreed Rick.
I've been listening to the Black Keys since the early days, I can't remember which album I started with but I went back and bought the predecessors shortly after.

What I find funny is the kids who are loving them now and keep referring to them as "this new band..."

Oh Crap! I'm old. Somebody could have freakin warned me this might happen.
Posted By: Andrew Re: The Black Keys - 04/25/12 02:11 AM
For those of you who are fans of vinyl, a special edition of El Camino was released this past Saturday, Record Store Day. It's a double LP set run at 45rpm for even better dynamics than the "standard" edition. I urge you to pick up a copy if you have the opportunity and are still spinning LPs. This is a band that really gives a damn about sound quality and it shows!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Black Keys - 04/25/12 03:26 PM
I wasn't familiar with their music, so thanks for posting that. Very cool story! smile
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: The Black Keys - 04/25/12 11:31 PM
Where can a guy pick that up?
Posted By: Andrew Re: The Black Keys - 04/26/12 12:36 AM
It was a limited release, so best bet would be to check with any local stores listed at the following link:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues?country=Canada

Good luck!
Posted By: Cork Re: The Black Keys - 04/27/12 11:53 AM
I picked up Rubber Factory and listened to it last night, very good. I liked it a little better than El Camino. It was a more raw or rough-edged. Good suggestion Rick.

And Murph, I'm old, but my 18 y.o. discovered it before I did. So you have to give them credit for searching out "new" stuff, at least they're exporing.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Black Keys - 04/27/12 11:59 AM
It's true. Once you move away from the exclusive pop/hip hop crowd, there are a lot of young people in this generation who are much more musically diverse than I remember in my my youth.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Black Keys - 04/27/12 03:03 PM
FWIW, I just got an email from Amazon offering The Black Keys' El Camino download for $5.

(as well as a bunch of other downloads)
Posted By: SBrown Re: The Black Keys - 04/27/12 04:52 PM
I just bought "El Comino" cd for 14.99$ at Amazon.ca
Posted By: Brent Re: The Black Keys - 04/27/12 08:46 PM
I like these guys - I just ordered the latest Dr. John, Locked Up, which was produced by Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys - gotta be another winner.
Posted By: onn Re: The Black Keys - 04/28/12 01:58 PM
I will be in Portland OR next week and have discovered that The Black Keys have a show while I'm there. Now to decide if I want to go.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: The Black Keys - 04/28/12 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: RickF
I have really liked these guys every since I bought my first Black Keys disc (Chulahoma) about 5 or 6 years ago and now have all of their albums, I came across this CBS Sunday Morning clip from the CBS News website and thought I'd share with y'all. Pretty cool...

No longer the under dogs

Knowing the audio philosophy, production, engineering and equipment behind the recording makes me enjoy music even more.

http://www.emusician.com/features-interviews/0777/the-black-keys/144845
Posted By: RickF Re: The Black Keys - 04/28/12 02:36 PM
From the inside cover sleeve of their 1st CD "The Big Come Up"...

'Produced by Patrick Carney...

...using his patented technique known as medium-fidelity. This system requires equal parts broke-ass shit to equal parts hot-ass shit'

laugh
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: The Black Keys - 04/28/12 03:01 PM
"But normally in the studio I hit the drums way softer. I simplify the drum beats. I''ve found that if you have a less-dense arrangement and hit the drums lighter, they come through and sound a lot bigger."

I totally agree with this statement. This is key. Nothing like the drummers finesse being able to translate through the recording. It does add an "expansive" element to the overall sound. This is a common theme of all my favorite drum recordings (from a sound quality standpoint).
Posted By: SBrown Re: The Black Keys - 05/03/12 10:46 PM
Just seen a Mazda commercial with The Black Keys playing the background music! shocked a song from the El Camino album.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: The Black Keys - 05/04/12 03:54 AM
They just played in Tulsa a few days ago. Several people I know went to the show and liked it a lot.
Posted By: claysae Re: The Black Keys - 05/08/12 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Just got this CD today. So whats a good setting on my AVR to listen to music in a 5.1 setup w/ QS8 rears?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Black Keys - 05/08/12 06:22 PM
DPL2
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Black Keys - 05/08/12 07:46 PM
Curious. Do all The Black Keys songs use the pentatonic scale? It's false advertising if they don't.
© Axiom Message Boards