Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MMM Looking for a good recordings - 06/04/14 12:17 PM
I have some symphonies that I really like. Sadly however my new Axiom speakers make quite a few of my favourite CD's sound awful as they lack the clarity and depth that others have.

So here comes the hard part. How does one go about getting a good recording?

I really like Dvorak: New World Symphony. The copy that I have (isbn 289417742), is a ADD but listed as ADRM - digital remastered to audiophile standards. Yes it sounds rather empty and missing any dynamics.

I have a copy of Tchaikovsky 1812 with full digitally recorded canons. (How I wish I had an EP800 for that part). Now, that sounds absolutely wonderful.

What method do you use to find classical music that was recorded well?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Looking for a good recordings - 06/04/14 12:22 PM
I ask JohnK.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Looking for a good recordings - 06/04/14 01:24 PM
i used to read lots of recording reviews in magazines.
that was before the Internet.

the magazine i liked most at the time, even if they openly showed preference for U.K. recordings, was The Gramophone.

no idea if they're still good at it...
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Looking for a good recordings - 06/04/14 04:29 PM
Matt:

I use this site all of the time for reviews & sampling CDs & SACDs before I purchase them:

http://www.allmusic.com/

One of the best Recording Labels (especially for classical) is 'TELARC' & their affiliate 'Heads Up'. They were pioneers in high end digital recording & their stuff is generally outstanding. I have a fairly large collection of their work in both CD & SACD. Unfortunately they were bought out a couple of years ago by Concord Music Group that sadly spelled their demise.
Their story here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telarc

TAM
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Looking for a good recordings - 06/04/14 04:55 PM
Seriously,

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/163268/Stunning_Recordings
Posted By: JohnK Re: Looking for a good recordings - 06/05/14 02:27 AM
Matt, I have about a thousand classical CDs and certainly wouldn't describe any as "missing any dynamics". I buy(and occasionally recommend here)discs of music I like, well- performed and well-recorded(I would never buy or suggest something solely because of outstanding sound quality).

Among my search methods are studying the performance/sound ratings at Classics Today and paying some attention to Amazon customer reviews. Since I have access to about 150 college and public libraries I'm able to borrow most recordings that might interest me before I buy.

The Dvorak symphonies are also among my favorites and I have several versions of most of them. If you identify more specifically the disc of the 9th that you refer to, I might be familiar with it and comment. However, in the meantime I already have a clear recommendation for a 2-disc set of the Dvorak Symphonies 7-9(I like 7 and 8 at least as much as 9) plus Scherzo Capriccioso with outstanding performances in outstanding sound by Dohnanyi and the Cleveland Orchestra. Available for about $12 up from several Amazon sellers .

If you have some other works that you're interested in I'd be glad to make suggestions about those I'm familiar with, or suggest a few that I think combine great music and great sound.
© Axiom Message Boards