Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigWill Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/30/05 07:01 PM
Thought I'd share some deatils of my visit on Sunday with 2x6. Drove to his new palatial hill-top home - ocean views, sea breezes, what a spoiled bastard! - and was treated very nicely. The house is just flat out awesome! And 2x6 is OK, too.

Ironically, in this multi-million dollar home we spent most of our time listening to music from a $20 Chinese T-amp through some $15 Michaura speakers! That is what they call "irony", ain't it? I'm not sure that the T-amp has the sound everyone is looking for, but it is a stunning little bit of equipment. I was just amazed that the little thing was capable of making ANY music. It weighed about as much as a pack of smokes!

My only disappointment was that the big Thiels weren't set up (that and he only had two beers in the frig! ). I would have loved to hear those behemoths (and drink a sixer of someone else's beer). Maybe next time.

This forum has been fantastic in many ways: learning about HT and audio in general, making new friends, communicating with folks far flung across the globe... Very cool.

Thanks again, 2x6, for inviting me over. You have a standing invite to come out to my place anytime.

The wife loved those onion bagels this morning, muchos gracias.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/30/05 08:13 PM
You're welcome anytime BigWill! I'll make sure there's enough brew in the fridge next time ("Beer, proof of G-d's love for man ..." Ben Franklin), and thanks for the wonderful cigars.

BTW, those Michaura M55s cost me $19 a piece, not $15. (Closer to $100 a pair after ubid shipping costs). I upgraded them with Jensen paper/oil caps which cost MUCH more than the speakers. (MSRP for the M55s was about the same as M22s as I recall.)

Anyway, I think the T-Amp and Ah! Njoe Tjoeb driving the M55s sounded great. BigWill was graciously silent as to his opinion.

The Big Thiels will be hooked up with the AudioQuest Midnight 2 Hyperlitz cables, Yamaha M80s, etc., next time you're over, and the tube amp as well. Look forward to seeing you again soon!
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/30/05 09:42 PM
Well...when in the BBQ at your place. I'll bring the beer!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/30/05 11:32 PM
The landscaping should be in not too long down the road. Honored to have you over lomb7. Bring your ears and favorite CDs.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/31/05 01:08 AM
Hold on pard. I never said that the T-amp setup sucked. I just don't think it was as good as the actual tube amp/Ah njoe!/Michaura setup you had in your old place. Not even close. And I know that I like your M22-like Michauras regardless of the source. I'll take as many of those as you can get at $100/pr, much less $19.

I can also definitely see a use for the T-amp at my place. That thing, a walkman and my bookshelf speakers could go in any room at the drop of a hat to provide low level music for poker games. No heavy lifting, or heavy investment, required.

BTW, have you given a spin to that unlabeled disc I dropped off at your place?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/31/05 03:25 AM
Not yet, going to trial tomorrow. Homework. Can't wait to get the tube amp massaged and set up!
Posted By: curtis Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 05/31/05 04:00 AM
hmmm...a weekend in San Diego sounds nice.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Another Visit with 2x6 - 06/10/05 12:15 AM
If anyone is up for a BBQ in San Diego I am hosting. I have a few flavors of speakers we could play with.
© Axiom Message Boards