Print Thread
Rate Thread
Add hardware volume control
#438217 09/20/20 01:53 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone,
I have an 'original' AxiomAir (N2?) from the kickstarter campaign.

It's been sitting in the garage pretty much since I got it, as I found the original software tough to get along with, and the lack of a hardware volume control made it hard to integrate into daily family life.

I've re-discovered it, and would like to try re-habilitating it.

I noticed that the newer N3? has a hardware volume control, and I wondered if anyone had implemented this on the N2?

All the best,
Patrick

Re: Add hardware volume control
PatrickAxiomAirV #438218 09/20/20 02:29 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
You have the N3. I didn't like my Kickstarter N3 so I sent it back.

This spring I bought the new N2 and N3. Both have volume and mute buttons. I really like them including the improved mid-bass on the N3. Both are more stable than the Kickstarter days.

Trade your N3 for the new one.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
PatrickAxiomAirV #438219 09/20/20 03:54 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Mojo,

Thanks for the suggestion - it was the email I got talking about trade-ins that made me look into the Air again!

I'd really like to get the one I already have working to a useable standard if I can, it seems that the hardware volume buttons on the new versions must be using something like the GPIO off the raspberry pi, so it ought to be possible to replicate the functionality, even with different hardware (I'd be happy with any kind of switch).

Before I got the kickstarter air, I was building my own system based off a RPi and hifiberry DAC which was running Volumio, it worked pretty good.

Any info about how the volume control on the newer Airs is implemented would be much appreciated!

Best wishes

Patrick

PatrickAxiomAirV #438220 09/20/20 04:13 PM
M
M
For sure it's easy to get a membrane switch, ribbon cable and a header to connect to the RPi. The key is to know what pins to connect to. The only ways to know that are to ask Axiom, find out from someone who has disassembled the unit or upgrade your firmware to the latest and ring out unused pins on your Air to identify which are volume up, down and mute.

House of the Rising Sone
PatrickAxiomAirV #438221 09/20/20 04:47 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, that's encouraging!

Anyone from Axiom reading this, information about the pins used for the volume control on the newer N3 would be great.

Now this may be a case of slightly over optimistic marketing, but I recall the kickstarter N3 advertising that it was ' It's an open-source, programmable speaker.'
Which leads me to expect a repository containing the software running the Air to be on.. github for example.

A quick look leads me to loads of repos for the M-Audio axiom air - is there one from AxiomAudio out there?

PatrickAxiomAirV #438222 09/20/20 06:15 PM
M
M
My suspicion is that eventually it will be an open-source, programmable platform. The open-source will consist of robustly engineered public APIs.

House of the Rising Sone
PatrickAxiomAirV #438251 09/22/20 06:08 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The volume control has changed at the hardware level in the v2. It is now controlled through the DAC as opposed to just software. This allowed us to have volume control through the UI on both the Analog and Optical inputs and the hard volume switches on top that are tied to the UI. I would suggest trading in your v1 for a v2. You will get the volume control you want and all the other improvements that v2 has, which are numerous. If you can send me an e-mail or PM with your serial number we can work out the price for you.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020