Rate Thread
Andrew's Mean Audio Video
#443679 10/04/21 10:08 PM
2x6spds Online Content OP
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
Hello Andrew

Yes, I have noticed how mean some audio posters are. There seem to be a coven of Axiom haters on various audiophile sites who whenever anyone posts something positive about Axiom speakers attack Axiom and the person who likes Axiom products. They come in ones and in groups. I defended Axiom for quite a while but decided to leave those sites.

You ask why? I think there are many reasons, but first among them, IMO, is they know too much. In fact, as to audio, they know everything, and, by the way, if you disagree, you are an ignorant deaf guy. Whether objectivists or subjectivists, they are utterly intolerant of opposing opinions. Sort of like politics.

We have had our share of this behavior on Axiom's forum and have lost some very valuable participants.

Thanks Andrew for your video. Too true!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
1 member likes this: Kodiak
Re: Andrew's Mean Audio Video
2x6spds #443682 10/05/21 02:32 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
The only other forums I can think of with the same types of knows-it-all are car modification sites. There are people who are completely blasted even though they preface their question with "newbie trying to learn" as the subject of their posts. With all things it takes time to learn and retain knowledge and with most people they are going to make mistakes and hopefully learn from those mistakes along the way. I have really enjoyed Axiom's forum so far and those I have encountered, even those who throw an occasional jest, have been willing to share their knowledge and have been helpful to me as I take my first dive into the home audio world.

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
2x6spds #443683 10/05/21 06:11 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Most of the time I feel meanness is a maturity thing. Often a way of building oneself up by putting others down.

Many years ago I built a gaming computer for/with my kids. I used pcpartpicker.com to find and keep track of the build. I also posted a write-up on the build and the trade-offs I made. There was a lot of polite feedback but one person in particular stood out ... basically stating that I was that I was an "idiot" for using several parts in my build (I don't think he read the write-up). One example was my PSU. Only an idiot would buy from from an unknown company (in this case Seasonic) and that I should have bought from a company like Corsair. I thought that very funny and pointed out the Seasonic made many of Corsair's higher end PSUs. I had similar comments on each of his issues.

In any case I also I think we've all made posts we regret ... for me it's when I answer too quickly, say something in absolutes, something which can be misinterpreted, or of poor tone. I alway reread my posts but a lot of times don't catch the tone or how it could come off because I still have my intent in my head. It's when I re-read it a day later that I realize that the words do not match that intent and then I'm embarrassed. I never want to say "your wrong", "I know better", or "your an idiot" (although I may think it). It's why I try and qualify stuff with, I think, I believe, or in my opinion as often as I can.

2x6spds #443684 10/05/21 06:58 PM
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
Oh Rich, you're OK! It would be difficult to find a more polite audio poster than you ... although, you may know too much.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/05/21 07:01 PM.

2x6spds #443686 10/05/21 09:42 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I dont think audiophiles are more or less mean than anyone else or other hobby. Online audiophiles however……

Past a certain level people are so invested in their setup, and the rationale of how they got there, that it almost becomes a competition for them. No one else can measure up. People with questions about it are silly or worse heretical. To gently oppose them is a prelude to war.

Anything online at the hyper niche level gets this way. High end audiophiles, especially online, tend to be loners seeking validation through proving themselves or disproving others. Their life tends to revolve around it, and the hobby itself becomes secondary. AVS is brutal for this.

This is the same for any hobby. Super niche hobbyists with little compromise in their goals tends to compromise everything else. Like manners or self reflection.

1 member likes this: Kodiak
2x6spds #443690 10/05/21 10:38 PM
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
Yes, Mr. Kodiak, especially those who know too much, or know it all. They do not suffer fools lightly, and anyone who disagrees with their Olympian opinions definitely qualifies as a fool.

I used to post on a site dedicated to Acura Legends. Same thing there. Then I posted on various S2000 sites. Better. I used to post on the Road & Track forums. Worst ever.

2x6spds #443691 10/05/21 11:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well I just joined a Land Rover Forum and so far so good.
I’m also a part of a wood stove and all things wood burning forum. Really nice people there. Some of the chainsaw forums have mean people. But then there’s really good folks too that really understand the complexity of chainsaw function and repair. You can tell when people are just spouting bullshit.

The only other place I’ve seen the mean people is in audio. Although I suppose if I went to a Toyota Land Cruiser forum and talked about how great Land Rovers are I’d find some mean people.

That’s the great thing about this forum is that yes, it’s mostly AXIOM chatter but there’s an underlying theme of all things audio in general.

Last edited by Kodiak; 10/05/21 11:57 PM.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
rrlev #443693 10/06/21 12:09 AM
C
devotee
devotee
C
My theory is that audio is a hobby where it helps to be a little intelligent, so to prove they're worthy some like to pull out the techno-facts to criticize. (Like Trevor, I mostly see this on AVS.)

Originally Posted by 2x6spds
... There seem to be a coven of Axiom haters on various audiophile sites who whenever anyone posts something positive about Axiom speakers attack Axiom and the person who likes Axiom products. ...
I reference Axiom frequently and I don't get this anymore - I just get ignored. But I'm undeterred!

Originally Posted by rrlev
In any case I also I think we've all made posts we regret ...
I get into the most trouble when I'm trying to be humorous. My humor doesn't always translate to print well. (According to my wife, it doesn't always translate in person either ...)

Cork #443695 10/06/21 03:07 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Cork
I get into the most trouble when I'm trying to be humorous. My humor doesn't always translate to print well. (According to my wife, it doesn't always translate in person either ...)
My humor doesn't always translate period ... smile

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters