Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A few short questions?
#146336 08/28/06 06:08 PM
E
Ernie3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I'm new here so bear with me. I am currently planning my home theatre. My room is 10ft wide by 12ft long with 8ft ceilings. I was wondering if this would be overkill for it. M22's, VP100, and QS8's or M3ti's, V100 and QS4's work better. I plan on using it for movies exclusively no tv and music listening because the room doubles as a den.

Also, I was looking at the factory outlet and I was wondering what the difference is between the M3ti Bookshelves and the M3 Bookshelves are. The M3's and not the ti's are listed in the outlet.

I may have to save longer for the Axiom's but I really what them since I consider speakers an investment.

Thanks

Re: A few short questions?
Ernie3 #146337 08/28/06 06:12 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
None of the speakers have the "ti" designation anymore. Axiom recently changed their model number designation so everything has a "V1" after it... Not sure where your seeing the "ti" anymore?

I think either setup would work in that room, however, for HT, you really need a sub for the Low Freq Effects.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Ernie3 #146338 08/28/06 06:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ernie,

I am not yet an owner of Axioms (they will soon be on order). But myself along with many others believe that concerning audio, there is no such thing as overkill.

Concerning your setup. The M22s have been rated extreamly well by the whole audiophile market. I see nothing wrong with your setup other than the fact that you may have to resist upgraditis in the future

I was planning on M22s when I first started looking. After combining the price of the M22s with some decent speaker stands, the price was not that much shy of the M60s. You'll find that the longer you wait to buy stuff, the more and more you'll upgrade before you buy!

You should def. use the QS8/QS4 if you're only running a 5.1 system as I have heard from other members they are awsome. They will give you a much broader sound in are not as sensitive to placement as the M3s are.

One more thing, if you are planning on the M22s you need to include a sub in your prices. The M22s lack the low end of frequencys that a sub give you. IMHO, you NEED a sub if you are planning on getting the M22s.

Regarding the factory outlet. the M3 and the M3ti are the same model, just updated. I have seen a couple spots on this site mentioning the "ti" as opposed to the v2. M3v2 is the same as the M3ti (which is now discontinued).

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
SirQuack #146339 08/28/06 06:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
The sub is a must as Sirquack says for the best HT experience. You can try any setup for the 30 day trial.

Ernie3 #146340 08/28/06 07:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you are going for something really permanent, then you may want to consider the architectural series of Axioms. I recently put a pair of W3s in a second zone, and they do indeed give you big sound. With a room of that size, space will be at a premium, and with wall-mounted speakers, you can get the height you need to have unobstructed listening paths without having to use speaker stands... I know that in the architectural line, they have dedicated center channel speakers, but not surrounds, so I guess you'd use W2s or W3s for surrounds. I'm sure some people here have done this; maybe they'll chime in.

Whichever way you go, welcome to the boards!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Ernie3 #146341 08/28/06 07:12 PM
E
Ernie3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Oh I will be getting a sub. I am looking at an SVS cylinder style. I am trying to save as much room as possible but I am always open for suggestions.

Ernie3 #146342 08/28/06 08:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
First of all, the M22's are NOT overkill at all. Since you will also be getting a sub, I think you'll have a fine home theater system along with the perks of having a nice audio system as well!

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Ernie3 #146343 08/28/06 09:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I started looking at Axioms, I was looking at the M22's, VP100, and QS4's with another brand sub. I soon changed my design to include the bigger VP150 for even better dialog. Then my plans changed for the room I was going to use and it was no longer going to be a dedicated area, but an open family room. Thus, I needed "more power" (as Tim Allen would say). I needed to be able to move more air since the space was greatly increasing. So I blow the budget and end up with M60 fronts, QS8 surrounds, and the Vp150 I already talked about. I picked up an SVS PCi 20-39 since I needed a 12" sub with good power for the area.

So, what does that have to do with you, right? Well, I just moved everything into a dedicated theater room (long story) about 15 months after I got them. The dedicated theater room is about 11' wide by about 15' long with 8 foot ceilings. This is more the size that the M22 was made for, in my understanding, but I really LOVE the full sound of the speakers that I do have, and I will never wonder if it I should have gotten something bigger/better. I can watch movies at lower volumes (compared to in the larger area)and still have amazing sound. The sub isn't "hammering" as hard, and yet sounds very involving. The QS8s are now finally set in positions where they can really perform.

So would your configuration be overkill? Absolutely not. Will it be enough? It should be fine. Would architectural series speakers work? You bet. Do you have just as many questions now as when you started? I am sure you do...

Good luck and welcome.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Ernie3 #146344 08/28/06 10:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think the difference between the M3s on regular vs. factory outlet stock is just a question of web site updating. The FO products are normally identical to the ones being shipped except for minor cosmetic defects. Never hurts to give Axiom a call to be sure though.

Your room size is in the range where anything from M2s to M60s would be OK although M2s would be marginal if you want to play loudly. M22s are the biggest you could "need" in that room and will be able to survive at least your first move into a slightly larger room.

M3s are still the best "value" and some people prefer their sound for many kinds of music, but for a pure movie system I would probably try for M22s if you can. There are still debates about "accurate vs. smooth" sound for music systems, but everyone seems to agree that the most accurate speakers sound best for HT.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
medic8r #146345 08/28/06 11:39 PM
E
Ernie3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Quote:

If you are going for something really permanent, then you may want to consider the architectural series of Axioms. I recently put a pair of W3s in a second zone, and they do indeed give you big sound. With a room of that size, space will be at a premium, and with wall-mounted speakers, you can get the height you need to have unobstructed listening paths without having to use speaker stands... I know that in the architectural line, they have dedicated center channel speakers, but not surrounds, so I guess you'd use W2s or W3s for surrounds. I'm sure some people here have done this; maybe they'll chime in.

Whichever way you go, welcome to the boards!

Well as much as I like the idea of that series it isn't really practical. I have old plaster walls about an inch of plaster and wood lathes under it. I hate to see the mess that would make not to mention trying to squeeze through the attic opening to run wires. It will be amiracle if I can pull this off beacuse I will have to do a DIY screen that I can take down and move so it doesn't block a closet. I may wall mount the 22's or put them on a shelf on the wall.

Not to mention it's going to take me a while to get the money put back for the speakers. FUN FUN FUN

Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020