QS8 surround location
#150934 11/07/06 03:41 AM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
So to start things out, I'll get it out there that I still live at home with the parents. This means that I have one room to set up my HT, which is also my bedroom, study room, game room, etc. Also, thanks to university, I basically live in here since I'm doing homework nearly every minute I'm awake and at home. I'm hoping the new speakers will brighten up that experience a little bit . As far as bedrooms go, it's fairly large (11' wide, 17' long, ~7' high), but it's somewhat oddly shaped. It generally represents a rectangle, but the front right corner is angled for the doorway and the front left corner receeds a bit and is occupied by a book case. There is also a walk in closet in the back right full of storage stuff, but I'm planning on getting some swinging doors to close it off when I'm watching a movie or listening to music.

The one problem I'm facing is locating the rear surrounds. There is a large beam, about 1' deep, hanging below my ceiling that extends the width of the room. Its a main support beam for the main floor (my room's in the basement), so no chance at removing it. How much effect is this going to have on my sound? In the pic, you are looking at the rear left speaker location. The bed extends across the 11' width of the room and the top is 2' off the ground. Since I have limited space, I watch movies sitting on my bed, usually leaning against the back wall. When laying against the wall, my head is between 3-4' off the ground, and while sitting up it's about 4.5' off the gound. I know this isn't the ideal location by any means, but its all I got.

The speaker in the pic is about 1'2" away from the back wall located on a stud (not sure why I needed a stud, it weighs about the same as a loaf of bread ). I can't find my stud finder right now, but I believe the next stud is approximately that same distance further down the side wall. As far as I've heard, the QS8's need to be bolted to a stud to avoid ripping a hole out of the wall due to their weight, which wouldn't really please my parents. So where should I put my QS8's to get the best sound? Same location as that speaker (which is really too high for a direct radiating speaker, I found out the hard way), higher, lower, more into the room? Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, this is only a temporary setup until I move out... which I don't know when that is happening. Probably when I finish university in a year and a half. So I just want the best sound I can while I'm here. I plan on keeping these speakers for a good long time.

I'm expecting my speakers to arrive as early as tomorrow. I can't wait

Thanks again.

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
Re: QS8 surround location
JasonB #150935 11/07/06 04:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
First off, your room dimensions seem pretty good so you're probably going to have an easier time than some folks on the board.

QS8s can be mounted without studs if you use decent drywall fasteners and use maybe 4-5 per T-bracket, but if you have studs that's even easier. I used a half-dozen little wood screws per T-bracket going into $2/sheet cheap wood panelling and nothing fell down.

I would think about mounting the QS8s a foot or so lower than what you have now but keeping the current position front-to-back. Maybe a foot further forward but no more than that...

The back wall looks kinda reflective -- think about hanging something on the wall immediately behind you, but not covering the entire wall.

Dumb question, but don't the studs run vertically ?

Congrats in advance on the new system. You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
JasonB #150936 11/07/06 04:20 AM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Thanks for the reply Bridgman. Sorry for the confusion on the studs thing.

Quote:

I believe the next stud is approximately that same distance further down the side wall.

By this I meant that I'm guessing the next stud is about 1'2" further from the back wall then the speaker currently is, still veritcal.

As for fun with the system, I'm already planning an all night movie marathon this friday to kick off the 4-day weekend . I gotta try to pick out some movies that won't shake the house down while other people are trying to sleep upstairs.

Last edited by JasonB; 11/07/06 04:23 AM.

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
JasonB #150937 11/07/06 04:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah yes, that makes sense now I read it again

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #150938 11/07/06 02:05 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
My HT room has beams like yours - for a moment I thought you were living in my house.

I have QS8s and they are EXTREMELY forgiving on placement. Mine are on the back wall like yours but a foot or so lower as bridgeman suggested. I might also move them a foot or so away from the side wall but that might not be necessary. What is necessary is to calibrate your system when you are done. I ran mine uncalibrated for a while and believe me the difference is significant. Good luck.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044