Axiom AX-2
#2095 03/18/02 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A friend is selling his pair of Axiom AX-2 speakers and I am wondering if I should buy them. He said that they are warranteed for life, but he didn't know if that would carry over to a new owner.
Also, how would that speaker compare in sound and quality to the speakers that Axiom produces these days?

Re: Axiom AX-2
#2096 03/18/02 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The AX2 was a very good speaker, and presumably the newer models build on the improvements in technology and testing Ian has conducted. I chose the AX2 as a speaker over several other companies (PSB, Paradigm, Infinity, Mission), but ended up with AX3's. The warranty has been used for driver replacement, and I don't believe Axiom tracks ownership.

They have resided in a system with comparable pieces in terms of price, and been well received. I have also placed them in my hifi system for testing, and they sound decent as well.

#2097 03/20/02 04:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi BBIBH,
Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you still use and like your AX-3s. I have read some of your posts and it must be nice to still listen to and appreciate equipment that you bought some time ago. How would you say the AX-3 (and AX-2) compare with the current Axiom lineup and for that matter, with current speakers in general? Thanks

#2098 03/20/02 08:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Anonymous,
The Axiom AX-2 was a remarkably good speaker in its time. I believe there's a thread some weeks ago where I cited its performance against some much more expensive British competitors in blind listening tests I participated in when I was reviewing speakers for Sound & Vision (Canada) magazine.

But the only way you could really make this judgment is to set up an AX-2 next to a current Axiom model noted for its neutrality and open quality--the M22Ti, for example.

Alas, acoustical memory--our recall of a speaker's particular tonal colourations--is rather fallible, and side-by-side comparisons are the only valid test. Nevertheless, I suspect that the AX-2 would hang in there pretty well.

A few weeks ago I hauled a pair of inexpensive Canadian mini-monitors out of storage. They had performed very well 15 years ago and so I put them up against some new Axioms and a fairly recent model from the other manufacturer. I was chagrined to discover how colored the 15-year-old mini-monitors sounded compared to the new Axioms and the other pair of monitors--so much so that I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes. I put them right back in the closet. (Perhaps they'll age, like a good wine, and improve in ten years!!)

Nevertheless, it would be an interesting test to see how the AX-2 would fare.
Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2099 03/21/02 10:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, the knowledge that I made a good choice is perhaps as satisfying as any factor. What makes it more so, is that I ended up with 3's for the price of 2's because of dealer incompetence.

As Alan mentioned, I have yet to compare the AX and Millenia lines directly. A dealer friend has promised to drop of a set of M60/80 for me to listen to, but it has not happened - I must call him and remind him!
I would guess that the new speakers would have a bit of an edge, due to newer technology and testing Ian has undertaken in the many years since I bought them.

In terms of comparing them to other current speakers, well, I have several comparisons that I have made. Axiom has been consistent in their performance, and while they are above some manufacturers, they are below others. I have speakers above and below them on the performance scale.

Overall, they are a good value in their price point, and slightly above.

#2100 04/03/02 04:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a note. I have a pair of the AX 2's running in the front of my system. With 1.2 rears and centre. The AX 2's produce excellent sound in my opinion. I noted that a lifetime warranty was mentioned. The information I received with my AX 2's say five years. You may want to verify that fact.

#2101 04/03/02 11:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I remember having the original documentation indicating lifetime.

I think they changed it at some point. Axiom manufactured this line for a good stretch of the late 1980's and most of the 1990's....if I read the history section of their website correctly. I bought mine around 1989ish.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup