Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Best speakers for Yamaha 1400 series
#26285 11/24/03 11:31 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello guys. I just bought the Yamaha 1400 series and just wondering what is the best speakers that would go with it. My room is about 15'X 20' and I would like the tower speakers for fronts and I would like to spend around $1500. I will mostly watch movies and 30% music. I'm a newbie and luckily I stumbled into this site. Thanks.

Re: Best speakers for Yamaha 1400 series
#26286 11/24/03 11:49 PM
shareholder in the making
Welcome, Isabel, and excellent receiver choice. If you mean about $1,500 for 5 speakers plus sub, and want towers, I'd suggest the M60s plus an M2 vertical center and QS8 surrounds. Add to that your choice of subwoofer, if you want.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26287 11/25/03 01:21 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks JohnK. I'm still shopping around for good speakers on the $1500 range. I think the axioms are good speakers based on what I read on some bulletin boards. I don't have any hands on experience with them so I'm asking for opinions. Are there any other good speakers out there or can I make combinations of all other speakers? Thanks for the welcome John and hope to build this HT soon.

#26288 11/25/03 01:57 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Oh by the way, what exactly is the power amp and the pre amplifier? Do I need these or can Yamaha 1400 do all the job. Can I add these later on also? What are the advantages of having these amps? I'm sorry I have to ask these questions cause I'm don't know too much about electronics. Thanks again.

#26289 11/25/03 02:21 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Isabel, welcome to the board! Great choice on the 1400. I have the RX-V2400 which is it's bigger but not much bigger brother. Your 1400 is an all in one box meaning it contains the pre amp section and the amps for everything you need.
More powerful amps could be added later but you shouldn't need more power unless your speakers are power hungry and you have an unusually large space to fill with sound. It will do just fine in your 15'X20' room.

JohnK's suggestion on speakers is right on.

Do you have the 1400 all hooked up and running or is it just sitting there awaiting the speakers?

Last edited by mwc; 11/25/03 02:27 AM.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#26290 11/25/03 02:31 AM
Isabel, speakers from different manufacturers can certainly be combined, but it's especially important that the three front speakers(if you use a center)should match closely in their tonal character. The simplest way to do this is to use three identical or closely similar speakers of the same brand.

The pre-amplifier processes the low-level signals from a CD, FM tuner, etc. and the amplifier then makes them strong enough to drive the speakers at loud levels. A receiver such as your 1400 is a combination of a tuner, pre-amplifier and amplifier, so you already have all this. Some choose to hook up their receivers to separate amplifiers in the often misguided belief that they'll get better sound, but this is seldom necessary.

#26291 11/25/03 03:47 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi mwc. Thanks for the welcome. Yes I went to Good Guys and the salesman directed me to the 1400 and said that it is a good buy for $799. He told me that the difference between the two is only 10 watts and the 2400 is going for $1099 and on sale for $999. As for the speakers I did not buy it cause I still have the bose acoustimass that I'm using with my old system. Anyway what do I know about all these stuff,I just rely on the good guys for help. They sold me my HDTV also. The good guys hooked everything up for me for a small fee, and it's quite good. The set up has been up for about three weeks now and a friend of mine suggested to search the net for reviews on good speakers cause he said the bose are not that good. That's why I'm doing my research before I buy anything and found you guys to be real helpful. Let me know if it is worth upgrading to the 2400. Thanks.

#26292 11/25/03 03:52 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
John, thanks for the explanation and I'm learning a lot from you guys. So in short I'm all set up and don't need all the other amps anymore. I will do a little more research and I think I should all be set to buy the speakers this week. I will let you know what I feel I like on the features and of course how they look, that's important to us ladies, and I'll let you guys comment on it. Thanks again and if you come up with any other suggestion please let me know and in the meantime let me do some more reading and learning. Thanks.

#26293 11/25/03 04:34 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Isabel, I'm just curious, did the salesman at Good Guys tell you that $799 for the 1400 was a discount price? Because $799 is msrp for the 1400. Also, $999 is the msrp on the 2400 not $1099. I don't know much about Good Guys but that makes me skeptical of them. I bought my 2400 from Tweeter Electronics (locally) for $899.

You probably don't need to upgrade to the 2400. You can see a comparison of the two here: www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/REC_RX-V.htm

I think your friend is correct about the Bose. Should you decide to get new speakers you can always sell the Bose. They sell well on the used market.

In reply to:

That's why I'm doing my research before I buy anything

You are doing the right thing by researching but you should also try to listen to as many different speakers as you can so that you can get a feel for what appeals to you.

#26294 11/25/03 04:55 AM
Isabel, it's a bit disturbing to hear that those "good guys" charged you full retail on the 1400 and then actually charged you a fee in addition to hook it up. I'm not familiar with their return policy, but can you still do so? You can get the 1400 with the new DPLIIx feature which has just been added for $529 delivered.

#26295 11/25/03 01:39 PM
local
local
That's the unfortunate thing about retail. The 2400 is listed on YAMAHA's site for $999 MSRP, so I don't see how $1099 = "$999 - on SALE!" is accurate.

Don't even get me started on these places....

Regardless, at least you got working equipment and you seem happy.

Perhaps that's all that really matters.

As far as speakers go, if you're willing to spend some more (maybe less if you ask them here about a discount with a "package" purchase), the VP150 or VP100 is the "designed" center channel that Axiom offers. This would be an alternative to the M2i upright channel that someone suggested.

I've read NOTHING but great things about the QS8's as surround speakers.

Another suggestion that some folks make here is depending on what you're going to do with your system is to consider the M22i's and a subwoofer instead of 2 floor standing speakers. The benefits of a sub for movies in a home theater seem to be considerable. Since you mentioned that you'll only use the setup for 30% music it might be wise to consider going this route.

2 Popular subwoofer companies around here are HSU and SVS. They also sell direct.

You could do: (2)M22i's-mains, (1)VP150-center, (2)QS8's-surrounds and (1)HSU STF-2-sub for a little over $1600. Possibly less if you can get a package discount.

The axioms and HSU products (not sure about SVS) come with 30 day in home trial as well. Only thing it would cost you is shipping back if you hate them.

I plan to go with a setup similar to the one above as soon as I can work out the family budget

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#26296 11/25/03 03:09 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi mwc. Yes the salesman said that $799 is the sale price on the 1400 and the 2400 is on sale for $999 plus of course the sales tax. Thanks for the link on the Yamaha site which I found very informative. And as soon as I find the right speakers for me I will sell the bose on the used market. I'm checking out all the stores in my area which carries what speakers so I can try listening to them. I'm doing a lot of reading and found out that axioms are really good speakers and leaning towards them. Thanks.

#26297 11/25/03 03:16 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
John, yes they did charge me $799 for the 1400 and I paid the guy who installed the system for me. I think I still can return it, cause they have a 30 day return policy. What is the DPL11x feature all about? I thought the new receivers has all the goodies in it? Also where can I buy one for $529 delivered? Please let me know. I think I need to do a lot more reading about the speaker/receiver subject so I can actually know more on what I really like. Thanks John.

#26298 11/25/03 03:35 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello Nick.Yes indeed that's what I was told by the sales person who sold me the system and my HDTV. They even sold me the extended warranty on the TV for $599 for I think 4 years or maybe five and I don't remember how much I paid for the warranty for the 1400. At any rate, I was happy with my purchase till I found out what the real price of the receiver was. Hmmm now I'm wondering was the tv also on sale like the salesman claimed when I bought it? Well, Nick I'm leaning towards the axiom speakers right now and you mentioned that I can probably get a package deal through them. Also enlighten me some more on the M22i's instead of the floor speakers that I really like. Are they better in viewing movies compared to the floor speakers? Oh by the way, the sub woofers you mentioned are really good as per my reading on them. I'm really doing all my research cause once I get them, I don't intend to send them back. They are heavy and I don't have anybody to help me repackage them and drag them back to the ups office which is about 30 miles away from me. Thanks for all the help guys and if you any more suggestions please let me know. I will return the 1400 and get it cheaper somewhere else if John can tell where.

#26299 11/25/03 03:57 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

I'm doing a lot of reading and found out that axioms are really good speakers and leaning towards them.

Check out this review by John Potis of Soundstage
www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_millenniam22tise.htm

There are many other good reviews of Axiom speakers but this is the review and these statements in particular that compeled me to try the M22ti :

"From the lower-midrange up through the vocal region, the M22Ti SE will rival the vast majority of speakers in terms of detail, transparency and neutrality. Notice I didn’t say anything about budget speakers; forget about cost for a moment. Through this region, these speakers really are that good. I’m talking about the kind of performance that people take for granted in $3000 monitors".

"The treble integration and balance are two areas in which the M22Ti SE will downright embarrass the majority of speakers available. Particularly among budget speakers, it’s the hard, bright and spitty treble that's the deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. Though some offer treble performance that is good for the price, the Axioms just offer good treble performance, period."

When I bought my M22ti's, I fully intended to just audition them for a few weeks and then send them back to Axiom for a refund as I have done with other speaker brands. Afterall, I do have other more costly speakers (KEF& and just recently Magnepan) in my home. But after spending a few weeks with the M22ti's I just couldn't send them back. So 18 months later I still have them(in a bedroom setup) and enjoy them often.

You might try to find someone in your area that has some Axioms. Many folks here are willing to let you listen to thiers. There is a thread on this board with a list of folks and where they are located who are willing to let others audition. Sorry I don't know the name of that thread. Maybe someone else can show the way?

#26300 11/25/03 04:04 PM
local
local
Isabel,

The M22i's are regarded as very good sounding speakers like most of the axiom line. Their one drawback is that they do not handle low bass as effectively as the M60 or M80's (towers) do. However, if you're planning to utilize your system for 70% viewing and 30% music, you should find that even the powerful bass of a good tower speaker will not have the impact of a sub.

Therefore, a lot of folks that are compromising due to a realistic budget choose to purchase the less expensive M22i's because they are excellent in the mid and high range and an appropriate sub will nicely pick up any slack in the bass.

In other words, (as long as your room was big enough), the ideal would probably be:

M60's or M80's with a subwoofer.

However if you can't do this (I don't think I will be able to) you'd be better suited to do:

M22i's and a sub instead of just M60's.

It could turn out that if you can find the Yamaha 1400 for less with Jon's help you can then re-budget to go all out (M60's + sub).

And of course don't forget about your center channel and surrounds.

-Nick

P.S. I know what you mean about mailing them back..it's definately a hassle. But keep in mind if you use UPS you can schedule THEM to pickup from you. I don't know if that's available in all areas though.

My M60's make me listen
#26301 11/25/03 04:24 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

I will return the 1400 and get it cheaper somewhere else if John can tell where.

There are many online retailers that sell electronics for much less than Brick & Morter stores. You just have to be careful that they are authorized dealers and offer the full manufacturers warranty and are allowed to sell over the internet by the manufacturer. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, you could have warranty issues if there is ever a problem with the unit. You might check Yamaha's web site to see if there is a list of authorized "internet retailers". Some of the more seedy ones will say that they are authorized but really aren't.

If you don't want the hassle of mail-order you could check locally(not sure where you are) at places like Tweeter Electronics and Ultimate Electronics. They usually discount at least $100 off msrp but you must shop for the lowest price and then pit them against each other. Sometimes they'll drop the price even a little lower. These places also have a 30 day return policy and a 120 day upgrade policy. Some internet retailers have very iffy return policies.

#26302 11/25/03 04:25 PM
local
local
Here's the thread in question:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=12763&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Also wanted to clarify so my opinions aren't too regarded, I don't have any axioms yet. I'm only referencing the general opinion of the fans and owners that hang out here. This way you get some feedback while the actual users like MWC are off listening to their Axioms

Just wouldn't want my opinion overvalued since I haven't bought any yet.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26303 11/25/03 05:13 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hey Isabel,

I'm somewhat new here too and won't have my M60 and QS8s until Friday, but from what I've heard about these speakers, I won't be disappointed. Now about your situation - it appears to me that if you return the TV and receiver and find them elsewhere at lower prices, and ditch the extended warranty, you should be able to get the M60 and a very decent sub. while still saving money from your original budget.

I haver personally bought extended warranty twice in my life, once on a used car and once on a video camera. I haven't needed it yet. A friend of mine who used to work at Future Shop said the extended warranties were where they made a killing. It is really rare that anyone will need them, if you even remember you have it or where you put your warranty card. Something to think about.

Good luck and let us know how your story ends.

Rocky

#26304 11/25/03 06:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Isabel,
check this link out here http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=yamrxv1400&svbname=16
569.00 plus s/h. Good luck on your quest!

"One needs to crawl thru the darkness to stand in the light"
#26305 11/25/03 07:18 PM
local
local
I didn't get into authorized dealers, buying online, or extended warranties because there's a lot of varying opinions. But to help out, here's what I do know:

Most manufacturers are VERY insistant that you buy from an authorized dealer if you plan on having their warranty honored. Yamaha is no different. They expressly say it on their website.

Many authorized dealers sell at MSRP because they have you over a barrel with the warranty (you can see the "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" benefits of this arrangement between the manufacturer and the retailer).

There are authorized dealers (usually smaller local B&M shops that will ship you product) that sell significantly below MSRP and one of the disadvantages is they can't advertise their prices so they're hard to find.

If you check the right forums and meet the right people you can obtain this information (I'm however not one of them).

Extended Warranties are a very personal choice. I sold computers for Circuit City one holiday season a few years ago and people were either for or against them. There seemed to be little middle ground.

We earned commission (versus Best Buy who does not), but the killing was made selling the warranty. This is for the same reasons someone else mentioned. A lot of people never collect on them and it becomes free money.

It's my opinion (and therefore should be generally disregarded) that if something electronic is going to break..it's going to do it pretty quickly, and inevitably it means there will be other problems.

As the others have said, good luck with your search. Hopefully you can find the right equipment at the right price and put together your ideal system.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26306 11/25/03 09:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
isabel, i believe yammi now has a 5 year warranty on the 1400. i have the 1300 and have the epic 60 system; it sounds fantastic. i must add, i'm about to upgrade the vp100 for the vp150.
dan

#26307 11/25/03 10:23 PM
Lots of things, Isabel. I'm not terribly impressed by the sales tactics of your "good guys". Forget extended warranties. Consider the return if you have 30 days.

Plenty of internet sites(check Yamaha 1400 on Google)sell the 1400 for prices in the $600 area. The specific place I had in mind was 6th Avenue Electronics(6ave.com)which is an authorized Yamaha dealer, but not for online sales. So the routine is that you call by phone(often you talk with "Joe") to make the buy, rather than doing it online. The deal is that they give you the 1400 for the same $529 price they have advertised for the old 1300(out of stock)when you ask. This deal may only be for a short time. They charge you 6 cents shipping(can't figure out the connection). They're shipping the latest version with the new Dolby Pro Logic IIx, which processes two and five channel recordings into seven channels(although you won't have the seven speakers needed for the full effect). Older versions of the 1400 and 2400 are being upgraded to DPLIIx at no charge.

As far as the speakers go, I suggested the M60s because you specified towers, but I personally prefer smaller speakers and use the M22s myself. You won't go wrong either way.

#26308 11/26/03 01:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I guessing that the $1500 is for the entire speaker system, not just the two front main speakers, right?

If so, here's my suggestion.

Return the 1400 and get your $799 back. Then buy the same model for $529 as suggested. That puts $270 into your speaker budget. Now you've got $1770 for speakers.

MAINS - M22ti
CENTER - VP150
SURROUNDS - QS8
SUB - Hsu STF-2

This puts you at $1620. That leaves you $150 to put towards some speaker wire, and interconnects. You may even have enough left for a DVD or two.

Your room isn't that large, so the M22ti's with the Hsu sub should work extremely well for you. The M60's would work as well also, but they do like a little more room, and they'd blow your budget. You'll be very, very happy with the M22ti's and the Hsu sub.

Where are you located? I'm guessing the SoCal area, as you went to The Good Guys. I'm in LA if you'd like to hear some Axioms in person before purchasing.

#26309 11/26/03 03:13 AM
local
local
Glad to see my humble advice was echoed by a couple of "ole pro" experts :P

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26310 11/26/03 03:30 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello mwc. Just got off work and decided to surf the net for more info from you guys. I read the review from John that you posted and sure enough the axioms really are excellent speakers. Though some of the technical terms I don't really understand. Looks like you got all the nice speakers in your system and one of them is the axiom. Maybe I can find somebody close to me to audition these speakers this coming weekend like you suggested.Thanks.

#26311 11/26/03 03:36 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello Nick, I'm really weighing my options right now either to get the floor models which I originally wanted compared to the M22i's. After reading the review on the M22 speakers, I'm having second thoughts of just getting it with the HSU sub woofer. Wow typical of me, to change my mind all the time. I plan to audition some speakers this long weekend. Thanks.

#26312 11/26/03 03:44 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello Rocky. Congrats on the new purchase and please give us a review on how the M60's perform cause I really wanted the floor models. But reading on and on I'm now in between them and the M22's. Regarding the 1400 I disconnected it this morning and plan to return it to GG this week. I will just use the extra money to buy a little more on my system. In regards to the TV they told me that I can upgrade it but can't return it cause it's over 30 days old. Thanks.

#26313 11/26/03 03:55 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
JohnK thanks for all the advice and I will call 6th ave. electronics tomorrow to place my order with Joe. How about a phone no. in case I can't find their website. Anyway that's quite a savings from $799 plus tax to $529 delivered.Yes I originally wanted the floor model speakers and still do, but I'm considering the M22's also. Just typical of me, to change my mind.
And johnbasham thanks to the link on the yamaha sales.
TwoDan congrats on the future upgrade and that's why I have so many questions cause I don't want to upgrade every year. I plan to keep my system for maybe 2 to 3 yrs.

#26314 11/26/03 04:03 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Spiffnme, yes the $1500 is for the entire system. Your input on the speakers is really excellent as like the others and the only thing I might change would be the M22's to maybe the floor model speakers. Hey I'm on the opposite direction from you. North. Anyway thanks for the input and everybody have a nice THANKSGIVING. If you can think of anything else please let me know cause I'm often to all suggestions. Like I said before it would take me a few years before the next upgrade.

#26315 11/26/03 04:22 AM
Isabel, here's their site. If you want to use them(and it's about $50 better than any other deal I've seen), act quickly, since as I mentioned, it may only be a short-term offer.

#26316 11/26/03 04:44 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
JohnK thanks for the link and I will call them in the morning to order one since I can return the one I got from GG. Anyway, JohnK I noticed that most of the speakers that I was going to get are rated at 400 watts. Since the 1400 is only rated at 110 watts why do I need all these wattage? Maybe for future upgrades or ????? Or maybe I can use an amp that can put out 400 watts or add another amp together with my 1400? Just curious. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

#26317 11/26/03 04:47 AM
The 400 watt thing is, almost entirely, irrelevant. It's just basically an upper limit. Although you will receive better sound at high levels with a higher powered amp, it's not all that crucial. The wattage ratings, as far as I can tell, are just there because that's what people want to see about speakers. (don't ask me why...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#26318 11/26/03 07:55 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
JohnK I called 6th ave. today and was told that they don't have the 1400 anymore. They are not sure if they can still get them or not. Just my luck. I guess I'll have to keep this one I got. Any other place to check? Thanks.

#26319 11/26/03 10:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite

#26320 11/26/03 11:06 PM
Isabel, after I read your reply I checked some other audio forums. As late as last night there were a couple reports of just having ordered at that price. Then, this morning there's posts saying that either temporarily or permanently it's over. If you'd like to try one of the sites Craig listed the delivered price should be about $580-$600. One question would be whether they're shipping the latest version with DPLIIx. Even if you don't want to bother with that you should note that Yamaha is upgrading present 1400s and 2400s to DPLIIx at no charge, but they have to be shipped to their Buena Park repair center. I would think that Good Guys would do this at no cost to you, especially if you would otherwise just return it.

#26321 11/30/03 04:25 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the links spiffnme. I returned my 1400 and bought one right after I returned it so I get another 30 days to return it just in case the 6th ave deal comes back. Here's what I did this long weekend. I tried out some new speakers while traveling 50 miles going to the city. I listened mostly to the paradigm speakers and I can tell you they sounded pretty good. The store played a lot dvd's just for me to listen and boy I was impressed. After that I also listen to the nht speakers and frankly I think the paradigm sounded better to me. Then as I moved on to another store they have some b&w speakers and man do they sound good with the front projection monitor hooked up to it. At this time I think I had listen to other speakers also like the Klipsch RB5 and I was told that they are 50% off from MSRP. So they are only $424 a pair. Is this a good price for these speakers or not. The salesman was trying to tell me that they are rated one of the best in that price range. I must tell you also that they do sound good. At this time I really don't know if I should listen to any more speakers cause all of them sounded the same to me. HI HI HI. So guys that was it for that day and today I drove the opposite direction and listened to more speakers. First one I listened to were the energy speakers and they are having a special sale for the bookshelf type. You pay $500 and you get a free center channel or a subwoofer. Naturally the salesman told me that they are the best, and that they won't even compare to all the others that I have listened to. Next on the list were the JBL and they look huge being they are floor models. The sound is ok and I think they are good in playing music. Then next in line were the monitor audio I think and these speakers are also good. Basically all the speakers I listened are all good and this is how I rate them my self. I like the paradigm most, probably just because it was setup with a nice subwoofer, then the energy speakers are definitely good also. The b&w are also up there with the klipsch. I didn't care too much about the JBL's or the nht's. While listening to all these speakers I came across a guy who said that a brand called the rocket is really one of the best. He also mentioned the KEF reference and def tech. With all the speakers that I have listened to in 2 days I'm now in need of everybody's opinion on these speakers,Paradigm, energy and B&W. Which one do you think is a good one compared to the Axiom's. I never heard an Axiom before and I think I'm just relying on the reviews that I read on them. Anyway more comments on the other speakers that I mentioned is much appreciated. Thank you.

#26322 12/01/03 02:08 AM
Well, in case Peter (pmbuko) doesn't have time to pop on and tell you, he had a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s which he picked after we listened to a number of things, including B&W, Energy, Hales, Def Tech, Revel, Magnepan, etc. The Magnepans, Hales, and Revels were the best, of course, but the Monitor 9s were the best bang for the buck. When he got the M22s, I was naturally a bit dubious (having never heard the Axioms and only having seen their ads online), but I was blown away. They were pretty darn close (in my memory, months later) to the Magnepans in terms of clarity and realism. (Soundstage couldn't match, but hey, they're $1000 cheaper... and don't take up as much space). They were about 10 times better than the Monitor 9s.

In short, try the Axioms, or try to audition them at someone's place near yours.

#26323 12/01/03 02:56 AM
old hand
old hand
I have dealt with e-tronics before, they treated me well. No problems at all. I would recommend them. If you liked the Paradigm then you will definitly like the Axioms. I think they are a very close competitor, but Axiom wins out in clarity, build quality and customer service.

Rick

#26324 12/01/03 05:24 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well ok guys, I think it's decision time for me now. I'm still leaning towards the axiom speakers and the hsu sub. How about this for my system. I originally wanted a floor model speaker but looks like most of you recommended the bookshelf speakers. Here it goes.

2X M-22ti for front speakers
2X QS-8 for the surround speakers
1X VP-150 for the center speaker
1 HSU subwoofer for more bass

Please let me know if this is the right combination or any other suggestions. It will mostly be used for a home theater system. Now the only thing also is the finish or color of the speakers. I have oak hardwood floors and right now I think the black ones are good to match all the black components I got. I will email axiom speakers and see what kind of deal I can get. IF all goes well, then I will be the proud owner of the new axiom speakers.

#26325 12/01/03 06:00 AM
devotee
devotee
looks perfect!!
very cool

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26326 12/01/03 06:24 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Oh by the way, how about the speaker stands? What height do you think is best while watching movies? Anybody has any input on this? 16" 24" or 36" for the front speakers. I think I will also order the brackets for the surround speakers. Another question is, do I need a center speaker for the surrounds or 2 will suffice? As usual thanks for all the inputs and hopefully I can post some pictures as soon as I have this thing hooked up.

#26327 12/01/03 06:39 AM
devotee
devotee
2 should do the trick. You can always order more after you get 2. I have read of people getting 3 axiom surrounds, but most people have 2.

#26328 12/01/03 06:46 AM
Isabel, I experimented quite a bit using test tones with my M22s. The basic idea is to have the tweeters at about ear level in your usual listening position. I found that the pattern a little above the tweeter axis was a bit better than below-axis(although I'm a little puzzled by a couple of reports of the opposite), so if anything, I'd suggest going somewhat low on the stand, something like 16-18" depending on your sitting height.

If you mean a back center surround, it isn't essential, at least at first, but your 1400 has seven amps and if you get the latest version with the DPLIIx upgrade, in the future you'd be able to have a stereo effect on a sixth and seventh back surround speaker derived by the DPLIIx processing from two, five or six channel recordings.

#26329 12/02/03 07:13 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah I think I'll use two surrounds for now Hawkson.Ok John, then I would order the 16" stand for the m22's. Now that I've heard quite a bit of different speakers I really hope that the axioms are the right one for me. Oh John, I aready saw the new yamaha that is 9.1 and cost is like $5000. Anyway it will be another 2 to 3 years before I upgrade again. How about the speaker wires, do I need to change them? If so where can I get a good deal on them? I already emailed the axiom people and they gave a little discount on the stuff that I'm going to order. Thanks.

#26330 12/02/03 07:40 AM
Isabel, I don't believe that you've described what sort of wiring you have now. Nothing beyond regular lampcord is needed and apparently you haven't read this often-cited explanation of the topic.

Incidentally, "Joe" has been reported as now advising callers that 6th Ave. will no longer sell the Yamahas by phone at all, just in-store. So, don't be looking for that deal to re-appear.

#26331 12/02/03 01:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
they probably p'od other vendors and got a call from yammi.

#26332 12/02/03 05:05 PM
local
local
It's up to you if you want to change your speaker wire. I asked about speaker wire at one point when I was scoping things out (I'm still doing it. You've got a faster trigger finger or bigger wallet than me )

and one of our highly regarded guru's here (Sushi) recommended http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=100-155&DID=7

It's inexpensive and 12AWG which should be more than sufficient.

Hope this helps.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26333 12/03/03 08:21 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The wiring I have right now is still the black thin one that came with the bose satellite speakers. And thanks for the link on the wires, very long and informative John. Now I really need to return the 1400 to the GG since you said that the special won't come back anymore at 6th ave. It will still save me $200 by ordering on line. Oh by the way John, how do I know that it has the upgrade dplx-11?

#26334 12/03/03 08:30 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey Nick, I just don't want to not to do it right by not changing the wires. After all I will be getting one of the best speakers out there. Thanks for the link and like you said it is inexpensive that's why I'm thinking of just changing them altogether. By the way I noticed on the link that they are the clear type. Do they also come in like solid black so I won't see the inside of it? Thanks.

#26335 12/03/03 07:08 PM
local
local
It doesn't look like that particular brand does. I did a real quick google search and didn't find any others either, but I'm sure you CAN find 12AWG speakerwire in black instead of clear. Perhaps someone else can point us in the direction.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26336 12/03/03 11:02 PM
Isabel, the latest version of the 1400 which has been shipped beginning the last week or so will have DPLIIx on the box or unit and a little manual supplement describing it. Any order should probably be by phone to confirm that the new version will be shipped.

As Nick pointed out, that particular brand comes only with a clear jacket, but other inexpensive brands are available in solid colors. Just for example, Parts Express has this .

Also, note that you'll want to use a coaxial cable with an RCA plug on each end to connect to the sub, not speaker wire.

#26337 12/04/03 12:22 AM
Axiom now sells bulk 12 GA cable in black....

#26338 12/04/03 02:39 AM
local
local
Would that really be an improvement over what she's already likely to have?

The axiom cable is probably very nice..and it is black. $85 per foot is obviously a higher price point than the clear wire I linked to.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26339 12/04/03 04:49 PM
What are you referring to that is $85/ft? The Axiom bulk cable is significantly cheaper than that, as is what JohnK linked. I'm confused...

#26340 12/04/03 04:51 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi guys. John I hope the latest version on the 1400 has the upgrade already so I won't have to return it for upgrades. And the link you directed me to, looks like they have good prices on their cables. And also I make sure I get the 12 gauge wire right? And Nick, yeah the .085 a foot is a little expensive compared to the others. And guess what? I bought the HSU sub at Compusa cause I read a thread here that their price is lower than the factory itself. I paid $349.88 plus tax and the sales guy recommended the special subwoofer wire for $29.95. And John your telling me that I could just use a regular coax with rca plugs. Anyway I got home and hooked this 52lbs. sub as per instruction from the sales guy. All it was was just two connections but it took me an hour to do this. HI HI HI I guess I'm just being nervous. But lo and behold this sub made a big difference on my set up. That base or bass sound that I never heard before was really incredible and couldn't believe it. Like you guys said, I watched Nemo where the little girl tap on the glass and bam the whole house was rocking. I played that scene probably 10 times with and without the sub. You guys got me hooked on this home theater thingy. Anyway I emailed Amie yesterday about my order and I'm just making sure that when the speakers come in, that I will be home. I'm all excited about all these and I'm pretty sure when I do get the speakers, that I have a lot more questions to ask. In the meantime I'm trying to decide about the speaker wires. oh by the way do you guys have any pre-set settings on the HSU that might be a starting point? Thanks.

#26341 12/04/03 09:09 PM
local
local
In reply to:

What are you referring to that is $85/ft? The Axiom bulk cable is significantly cheaper than that, as is what JohnK linked. I'm confused...

Yeah, sorry...I meant $.85 per foot. But it's still quite expensive compared to the clear 12AWG I linked to.

I'm sure it's good quality though. I'm trying to justify it when the time comes myself

My M60's make me listen
#26342 12/04/03 09:25 PM
OK. Now my universe has swung back into order. :-)

#26343 12/05/03 02:18 AM
local
local
Man..you're in sad shape if my opinion affects your universe! I'm clueless...

Glad we got that sorted out.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26344 12/05/03 07:30 AM
Isabel, that's why I suggested trying to confirm by phone that the latest version with DPLIIx would be shipped, since some of the earlier ones which would need the upgrade are certainly still in the pipeline.

No, you don't necessarily need 12ga speaker wire; as Mr. Russell's table showed, it depends on how long your runs are.

Good buy on the STF-2, although there was sales tax, of course. $29.95 isn't bad, but there's nothing "special" about something called a "subwoofer cable"; it's a coaxial cable with an RCA plug on each end and should run about $10-$15.

So, you noticed a little difference between the STF-2 and the Bose bass module, did you? When you get your speakers the crossover on the 1400 should be set at 80Hz, the crossover on the STF-2 bypassed and the level on the STF-2 set to taste, although it really shouldn't be so loud that you hear it as a separate source.

#26345 12/07/03 05:15 AM
veteran
veteran
Hey, I am still in my research mode, been reading your posts as well. In basically the same boat as you as far as receiver and the toss up for which speakers I want. I seen you ordered yours. When you get them make sure you get back here and give your opinion!! Thanks and congrats on your purchases. Especially that HSU deal you got. By the time I called, they were all out in my area.

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
#26346 12/08/03 06:09 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I will definitely ask them if it has the DPL11x in it before I will order it over the web. John I think I did make a good buy on the sub since I read it on another post here that they have it at Compusa. Anyway when I hooked it up there really was a big difference compared to the bose that I'm using. I played some dvd movies like pearl harbor, Nemo and etc. Wow the sub really made the big difference and my speakers are supposed to come in Tuesday or Wednesday the most. I'm all excited and I also ordered the stand and brackets for the surround. And believe it or not I even took vacation just so I could be home when the speakers come in. I'm all excited and hoping that it's worth the wait. I'm still undecided on the speaker wires cause I think I'm leaning towards the 12 gauge size wire. Is it Wednesday yet? HI HI HI.

#26347 12/08/03 06:21 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
jfoxtrot9, hello and yes I did a lot of research before making my mind on the Axioms. Well I gotta give the guys here the big thumbs up cause they really help me a lot and guided me the right way. I hope they don't get tired of me asking questions, sometimes stupid ones. Yes I did order mine and just waiting for it to come in early this week. And as soon as I listen to them I will let you guys know what my impressions would be. The HSU deal was really a good one considering that the manufacturer charges more. I'm sorry to hear that all the ones in your area are sold out. By the way, on the receiver, when I called 6th ave, they tried to sell me the Denon 3803 cause they stop selling the 1400 over the net. Ask the experts here about it and I'm pretty sure that you will get a lot of opinions also. Good luck to you.

#26348 12/10/03 03:19 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Is it Wednesday yet? I took the day off to make sure that I won't miss the FedEx guy today. Last time I tracked package was in Memphis Tennessee already. I'm getting all excited here and hopefully I can hook it up and give you my impressions on how the speakers perform. Stay tuned and somebody tell me how to post pix so we all can see my new system. Thanks.

#26349 12/10/03 04:07 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i can imagine your anguish. i recently traded my vp100 for a 150; two days without a center...my wife agreed that it was awful listening to dvd-a's w/out a center; she's pleased with the new 150.
dan

#26350 12/10/03 07:32 PM
veteran
veteran
Even I cant wait till yours comes in. Ive been out listening to several speakers the last couple days. Its driving me nuts not being able to hear the axioms. I cant wait to hear your impressions. If you will, could you also give what you would compare as the closest speakers that you listened to with your new axioms? I am sure all the salesmen keep wondering why I want to hear their "bright" speakers. Thank you and I hope you are happy with your purchase. Jeff

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
#26351 12/10/03 08:15 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

could you also give what you would compare as the closest speakers that you listened to with your new axioms?

Jeff, try to listen to some Canton's. You could also try some Magnepans. My M22s sound very close to the Maggies in tonal quality but without the signature off a dipole and the huge 3D holographic soundstage. One description that people often use to describe the Maggies is "fast" sounding and it's true, you do get the feeling of immediacy. One of the things I like so much about my Axiom M22s is that they sound very close to the Maggies in that respect.

#26352 12/10/03 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thats a blasphemous comparison!!!!
Monitor Audio Silver series also sound like Axioms.

#26353 12/10/03 09:39 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Thats a blasphemous comparison!!!!

LOL! I really don't think I'm too far off base with it.

#26354 12/11/03 12:11 AM
I gotta say that I had the same impression. Of course, my listening times were months apart, but it was the same chills up and down my spine effect. (from the Maggies and Axioms)

#26355 12/12/03 01:51 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok guys and gals, I finally got my Axiom speakers and accessories yesterday. I had a delay in hooking up the system cause my "tech." did not show up in time. All 6 packages came in and they were boxed pretty good except that when I opened up the M22's one of them has what I might call a defect from the factory. And this defect is just below the Axiom logo. It's quite obvious that it's there so I emailed Aimee and let her know about it and I will take a shot of it and send the pics to her. After hooking up everything and I played a DVD pearl harbor movie, I was impressed by the sound of the speakers. Notably were the 2 surround speakers and I never heard of any better sounding surrounds than the QS8's. As far as the M22's I think they have the clarity in them that I could basically hear everything that's being played in there. So I did some treble adjustment on the receiver and after a while I found a spot that I really like to hear. The center 150 speaker was really trebly or the pitch is very high. Again I did some adjustments on its placement till I was satisfied with the sound its outputting. By this time I basically was happy with the performance of the speakers so I tried another dvd that I use to play on my other speakers. The difference is day and night and I tell you the surround speakers really really impressed me a lot especially that I had the HSU subwoofer hooked up. You can feel the whole room shaking and rumbling and everybody present was really impressed. What about the things I don't like about them? Well the stands are not really meant to hold the M22's and I need to look for a better stand than the ones I got from them. Because the top of the stand is square and the bottom of the M22s is not it looked awkward and really don't match. I wish they can make a stand just for the M22s. Aside from the little factory blemish or defect on the M22s which I'm pretty sure that they will take care of and the speaker stand I think overall I'm happy with the speakers sound. Of all of the speakers that I tried I think the Paradigms are comparable with them, but I still like the Axioms better. And I just wish I know how to post pics here so you guys who helped me a lot can at least see my new system. I tried using it on HDTV programs on and wow same awesome result. And come to think of it, I thought I had the best Bose system in the world till now. I will be having more questions later on, but now I'm just gonna enjoy it and I took the day off tomorrow again so I can watch more movies.

#26356 12/12/03 03:14 AM
devotee
devotee
congrats
wow-16 days and you bought speakers
it took me approximately 2 months

#26357 12/12/03 04:06 AM
If you e-mail me the pictures, I can host them on my server for you. (You can see my e-mail in my profile.)

#26358 12/12/03 08:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Isabel, It doesn't sound as if you are completely sold on the Axioms??? Maybe I'm not reading your post right? Like you I have listened to many speakers. I must say, I LOVE the Paradigm Reference Studio 100. But at $2000 for the front two!! I have been advised to listen to a couple others but yet to find them. (Maggies, Canton, Monitor) If you think they are anything like the Paradigm, I am sold. Like you, I am nervous about buying something I haven't heard, although most here say they are outstaning speakers. I am real close to pulling the trigger, but...........

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
#26359 12/12/03 09:56 PM
Axiom is the exception to the rule that you should always audition a speaker before purchasing.

With that said, you should still make every effort to find a lucky Axiom owner in your area.

#26360 12/13/03 02:06 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi jfoxtrot9.I'm completely satisfied with the axiom speakers and as a matter of fact I will keep them. Well you know this is the very first time that I evaluated an speaker so if it sounded the other way around, what I really meant is the axioms are an excellent speakers. And yes, to me they sounded more like the paradigm which I was leaning on buying at first. But with mostly HT in usage and a little listening to music, the axioms are what I was looking for. The speakers have the clarity that I was looking for and after some adjustment by my "tech" I found what sound I was looking for. And I emailed Aimee about a little blemish on the bottom of one of the speakers, and guess what? NO questions asked and 2 new speakers are on their way to me with tracking no. Now that is what I call excellent customer service. So I think go ahead and give them a try cause that's the only way you can hear the actual sound. Well in case you don't like the speakers you can always return them in 30 days. But I'm keeping mine. Good luck.

#26361 12/13/03 02:12 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hawkson101, thanks and I'm really happy about everything from the beginning to the end of the transaction. You guys made the big difference in my decision. And pmbuko, yes I will email the pics of my setup and hopefully you can post it in this thread so everybody can see it. Where's John?

#26362 12/13/03 02:21 AM
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your speakers, Isabel. Have you run the YPAO yet?

#26363 12/18/03 03:46 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey guys I haven't ran the YPAO set up yet cause been busy shopping for the xmas. Anyway I still need to re-arrange all of the wires at the back of the receiver before I send the pics to pmbuko so you guys can see my set up. But anyway how about this. I'm thinking of adding two more M22's for a total of 4 front speakers. If I do this, how high should the other 2 be? Or is it better just to get 2 floor speakers. Or is it better still that I just add two more QS8's for a total of 4 surrounds. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thank you and I will email pictures to pmbuko so you guys will have an idea on what I have now. Thank you.

#26364 12/18/03 04:59 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi again. I just emailed pmbuko the picture of my set up. Anyway once he post it I will explain the setup and hopefully you guys can help me with what I intend to do. thanks.

#26365 12/18/03 05:34 AM
Why would you use 4 M22s in the front? Is the sound not enough?

#26366 12/18/03 05:44 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
HI. Well I just noticed the A and B switch in front of the receiver and my "tech" told me that it would sound awesome if I add another set of speakers. So this is not a good idea? Let me know what guys and gals think. Thank you.

#26367 12/18/03 05:58 AM
As someone who used to run A&B speakers in the same room at the same time, I just don't see any advantage to doing it. The only reason I did it was because I had 2 pairs of severely inadequate speakers that actually sounded better when both were played at the same time. Also, I was young(er).

#26368 12/18/03 06:03 AM
And here are the pics. I resized them so they wouldn't be so huge.

#26369 12/18/03 06:08 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Are you thinking about adding two more M22s to the front for the "effects channels" of the 1400? I have 5 front speakers including the center and the two "effects" speakers and of course the mains. I really like the front "effects channels". It give the movie that big theater sound without having to use some of those cheesey DSP modes.

If you are going to use the M22s for this purpose, I think Yamaha recommends that the "effects" speakers be placed above the mains and about 3 feet to the outside of the mains. I have mine 2.5' above the mains and it works out very nicely.

I haven't tried the back surround channels yet so I can't comment on that but it seems that if you already have 2 of the remarkable QS8s for side surrounds.... well, from what I experienced (at sushi's house), I would argue that due to their dipole nature, they do a good enough job of "wraping the sound/enveloping the listener" that the rears aren't especially needed. But no doubt it would be cool to have them.

However, from what I've read on other forums, you can't have both the rears and the "effects" channels at the same time with the 1400 unless you use a separate amp for one or the other. Not real clear on why or how I just know it involves the "zone out" feature.

#26370 12/18/03 06:22 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello Pmbuko. Thanks a lot for posting the pix. You can probably see all the wires at the back that needs fixin'. Anyway the first pix, you can see a big blank wall, that I use to project my front projection TV. I normally would blow it up to about 110" when watching dvd's. Originally I was going to get the floor model speakers, and I ended up getting the M22's. Now looking at this setup, do you think that another set of m22's or the floor models will do ok or do you think that I'd be better off in adding another set of rear surrounds? Now the next pix is just basically my other tv if I'm not watching dvd's or HDTV. And the set of speakers next to the m22's are my Karoake speakers which I use when I feel like singing. If I pick up another front set of speakers I have to find a place for the karoake speakers. Well guys let me know what you think and any suggestions?

#26371 12/18/03 06:37 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Yamaha has proprietary "front effects" channels built in to thier recievers. I have speakers hooked up to these channels (for a total of 5 front speakers) and I gotta tell ya, I like it. I'm not sure though if thats what she was refering to.

#26372 12/18/03 06:45 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Ah! I see what you mean now about adding extra front speakers. And like Ken says, there really is no advantage to having 4 front/main speakers. Speakers for the "effects" channels I spoke of in an earlier post, I think is very worth while.

Btw, you should pull your center speaker to the front of the shelf for better dispersion and possibly clearer and cleaner dialogue.

Last edited by mwc; 12/18/03 06:55 AM.

#26373 12/18/03 02:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did you ever try your Maggies for mains in your HT. It does give a wide big front soundstage too....like in a movie
But you do know that already.

#26374 12/18/03 06:23 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Yes, I just recently inserted the Maggies (through the Yamaha RX-V2400 and pre-out to the Odyssey amp) as mains for a few days and it sounded great for HT. But I wasn't as happy with the 2 channel performance through the Yamaha receiver as opposed to the Anthem/Odyssey system. Sound stage width was fine but the illusion of depth seemed much deminished. (less 3D). Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha did an admirable job, I just perfer the Anthem as the Pre for 2 channel.

#26375 12/18/03 10:15 PM
veteran
veteran
No matter how much effect you get, all the sound come from the left when you are watching tv anyway.

#26376 12/18/03 10:24 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Huh?

#26377 12/18/03 10:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
cause the tv is to the right of the stereo set up...

#26378 12/18/03 10:41 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I get it now. I went back through this whole damn thread. After reviewing the picture I can see what you mean about all the sound coming from the left. Isabel needs to put that tv on top of that stand and position the center a little better.

#26379 12/19/03 02:58 AM
She said she had a projector projecting on that wall, guys..

#26380 12/19/03 03:23 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey guys thanks for all the comments on my setup. I need you guys to critique it so I can improve for better. Adding another 2 front speakers is just my idea but if it doesn't do me any good then I won't. Well tell me more about the front sound effects that mwc is talking about.I haven't done this much reading in my entire life, and still I'm confused with all the terminologies and technical terms. I think if I can also use 2 fronts as effects speakers then that's something to think about. Regarding the front speakers I think I will try pulling it out more to the front. Anyway what are Maggies? And regarding the sound coming from the left side, I only use the HT surround when I use the front projection tv and like I said I normally blow the picture size to 110" to 120". I find this to be the perfect size and not lose sharpness to the signal. When watching regular tv I just use the other tv next to it. You know you guys got me started in this HT thingy, and in a matter of 4 weeks I totally redid my whole set up, from a bose system to this one. Plus I have this "tech" guy that's helping me out spend more money. But the whole thing is absolutely fun for me and I just love it except when my bills come in. Also I think I will move all the receivers and etc.that you see in front. It will go to the opposite side so I won't have to look at it while watching tv. What do you guys think? So for now you guys think I don't need to add anymore front speakers and maybe just add two more back speakers for a 7.1 system? Need more comments and ideas for the bettement of the system. Keep them coming. Thanks.

#26381 12/19/03 03:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The longest thread is usually a post on what is the best wire and a post by a female newbie user.

#26382 12/19/03 12:23 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Well tell me more about the front sound effects that mwc is talking about

Somewhere, buried in this thread, is an explaination of the front "effects channels". Using these channels plus the "back surround" and "side surrounds" will give you 9.1 speakers. The front "effects" are not discreet channels but they supplement the mains to give a huge soundstage much like you would hear in a movie theater(one that doesn't have problems with thier sound if you can find one). I really like what the "effects" channels do. The recommended setup for "effects" channels is to have them mounted above (3' or so) and to the outside (3' or so) of the main speakers.

In reply to:

what are Maggies?

www.magnepan.com/

Try to position your center speaker so that the front of the speaker is just at the front edge (or slightly over the edge if you can) of the shelf so that the shelf doesn't interfere with despersion and you will get clearer dialogue.

#26383 12/19/03 12:27 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

The longest thread is usually a post on what is the best wire and a post by a female newbie user

I was just thinking about this. It's funny how we all just fall all over our selves to help when females post. LOL!

#26384 12/19/03 02:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Anyway what are Maggies?

Them nice.. nice...

http://www.spacelofts.com/x1/mini-IMG_1085.htm

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic