Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lawyer up?
SRoode #287080 01/16/10 12:05 AM
devotee
devotee
As someone who has to deal with many types of contracts, my advice is: It never hurts to have an attorney look over a contract if you are having any problems understanding the legalese contain therein.

Paying for an hour of time from a competent real estate attorney to read over a contract is actually a bargain if it will keep you from getting f#cked over somehow in the future.

It's also good to have a few attorney friends around for free advice. \:\)

Btw, friendly attorneys usually respond well to micro brew and kind bud. Or hookers and blow if they are making more than $300.00 an hour. \:o

But seriously, party with an attorney and they will eventually loosen up and tell you things that will make your hair curl (or uncurl) and make you never, ever trust anyone in that profession.

I mostly deal with entertainment attorneys though, and they are a whole other species entirely...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #287133 01/16/10 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
As someone who has to deal with many types of contracts, my advice is: It never hurts to have an attorney look over a contract if you are having any problems understanding the legalese contain therein.

I think that is very good advice! I did a bunch of contract stuff for one of the tech companies I worked for: enough to get a sense for what contracts can be like. If you are not sure about something, review it with a lawyer, but know what your concerns/questions are ahead of time so you don't run up the bill.
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant

But seriously, party with an attorney and they will eventually loosen up and tell you things that will make your hair curl (or uncurl) and make you never, ever trust anyone in that profession.

I mostly deal with entertainment attorneys though, and they are a whole other species entirely...

The only things I regret in my divorce are the bits of advice from my lawyer that I chose to ignore. As with any other profession, you will have the good, the not so good, and the just plain bad. Given the entertainment business, I suspect those lawyers are indeed a different critter.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #287149 01/16/10 05:47 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I just fired an attorney….incompetent b****. That degree and license doesn’t mean anything other than they have been educated and licensed to do work to their abilities. Some are good, some are not.

I have not used an attorney for any mortgage related assistance in the past. It’s a fairly painless process anymore, other than the 5K or so you get to eat for “fees”. Credit unions are generally the best option.

michael_d #287440 01/18/10 10:04 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
The other thing to remember is to recognize who you are talking to even if he or she is an attorney. I am an attorney, but I have worked in a very specialized area of law since I graduated from law school 17 years ago. More often than not, if a fried or family member asks me for a legal opinion I have to tell them that they'd need to talk to a "real" lawyer to get a reasonable answer because the question simply is not within my area of expertise. There are some very general legal questions or contract language that I can give reasonably good advice about, but for the most part my opinion isn't worth a whole lot for the family/friend type of questions I get.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters