Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
will I hear an improvement?
#3073 05/15/02 02:26 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Well I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy a pair of m80's and a 150 center but I'm worried that there won't be that much of an improvement over my current speakers that my wife will kill me.ha ha.well anyways my current system consist of an Onkyo tx-ds787 receiver,a pair of Cerwin Vegas RE30 speakers with twelve inch woofers ,five an a quater mids and one inch tweets.A Jbl center and a Rava sub.will the purchase of these speakers be a substantial improvement or not?I know this sounds like a silly post but this is alot of money to me.

Re: will I hear an improvement?
#3074 05/15/02 03:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't think anyone can say whether it will be an improvement since that really is a subjective opinion of the person who will be listening to these speakers.

That being said however, there can be a huge difference in using speakers that are all made of the same brand by a quality company, such as Axiom. The timbre matched speakers will sound alot more "together" in my opinion. I look at mixing and matching speakers like buying different brands of tires for each wheel on my car. They might all be the same size but each one will perform slightly differently which may not be a good thing.

I recently bought an Onkyo DS797 receiver and i am also in the process of deciding on the next set of speakers to purchase. Presently Axiom is the forerunner but the new Angstrom Modulars (http://www.higher-fidelity.com/index.htm) are also in my price range and a very well made speaker.
Angstrom does not have much of a website for info nor quick customer support like Axiom, and that sort of thing means alot to a customer like myself.
I say go for the Axioms and never look back.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: will I hear an improvement?
#3075 05/15/02 07:36 AM
veteran
veteran
Murphyman,
Tell me a bit about your Cerwin Vegas. I used to own a pair of R-123's (If I remember the model # correctly). The one unique characteristic of them was the semi-horn midrange. The speakers were super efficient and were what I call "hot" - in that the mids were almost overpowering. All around they were pretty good speakers for rock music - but not too much else. If your C-Vs are similar (and also similar to the typical JBL sound) then I think you will hear a significant difference in the M80s - but I cannot tell if you would like what you hear. It could take some time to get used to the new (and hopefully improved) sound. What I can say is this - if it is true what Ian says - that the M60s are just M80s built for 8ohms (and thus they sound VERY similar), then compared to your C-Vs, the highs of the M80s will truly sparkle.

Did I loose you on that?

Randyman

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 583 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup