Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19
Re: Head Phones Recommendations
CV #316096 07/22/10 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
I haven't tried any other USB settings yet. The player does indicate that it's charging when I plug it in to my computer, the only exceptions being the times the player wouldn't show anything at all, making me think it was dead.

I said a few hours, but it could actually be 5-6 sometimes. Sometimes when I think it should have a full charge, however, it only lasts 2 days of me doing my morning routine (check stuff online, shower, etc.) which is around an hour and a half. I think the best it has done is part of a third day in a row of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something wrong with my unit.

Something does not seem right to me either. The next time you are done charging the device, check the POWER in the system settings under INFO and make sure it is reading 100%. It is more accurate than the bar.

But yeah, wierd stuff is going on like why it randomly won't detect.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #316118 07/22/10 10:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's funny how quickly the ear forgets. Here I was being all impressed how good these headphones were. Thinking they were competing with real speakers. So I'm listening to Rhapsody on my phone. Pull up the exact same track on my computer, and switch over to listening on Alesis M1 Active, studio monitors.

Yeah, not quite the same thing.

But they're still good headphones.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #316125 07/22/10 10:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Koss KSC75 are good especially for their price, probably among the best but they are not going to compete to a studio monitor. They have a bit of a hump between 60hz and 300hz. They don't have the soundstage of a loudspeaker either.

http://graphs.headphone.com/iconGraph.php?graphID=1023

-Max Payne
Adrian #316272 07/23/10 03:50 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I second the Sansa Clip+. The latest version with a monster SD card is the best value in portable audio. Also if you check the reviews the Sansa Clip+ has the best sonic accuracy and quality of any portable player on the market today including all available Ipods.

pastuch #316279 07/23/10 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pastuch
I second the Sansa Clip+. The latest version with a monster SD card is the best value in portable audio. Also if you check the reviews the Sansa Clip+ has the best sonic accuracy and quality of any portable player on the market today including all available Ipods.

Are you referring to the literal ruler flat frequency response of the Sansa Clip+ that has been showed in 3rd party testing wink cool .

-Max Payne
pastuch #316298 07/23/10 05:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I like my Sansa Clip too. I don't have the + version though. I agree out of all the small portable mp3 players I've heard, the sound quality of the Clip is superior.

I've only used inner earbud style phones with the Clip since I use it only when I run. At it's price point, I recommend the Skullcandy Titans. They probably are bit colored in sound, but they are surprisingly clear in the highs and mids, and have a nice thump to the bass. If you don't want to spend more than $20, consider the Ink'd...muddier than the Titans, but a good value.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Re: Headphones Recommendations
BlueJays1 #317942 08/08/10 04:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
So I did pick up a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-ADR700s and I must say they are decent headphones, they kind of remind me of the Koss A-250s. My daughter thinks they're more comfortable than the SR225s and she likes the pink/purple color.

I suspect that higher end Beyer and Sennheiser headpones might be more to my liking, although I still haven't heard anything headphone-wise to rival 2.1 speakers, so I have Audiobytes on my list before any further headphones excursions. Audiobytes may seem a bit pricy but I'm not so sure: I've had two 2.1 systems die on me in the past few years, so cheap stuff can be expensive too.

I've had some home repairs recently crop up (e.g., the kitchen tile had to suddenly be replaced) that has slowed down my home electronic acquisition process, otherwise I would already have Audiobytes. This process has led to some observations though, as well as computer issues to work through.

For example, my computer died a couple of months ago and I bought a new computer that was so much better it was unbelievable, upgraded from a Dell Dimennsion 5150 to a Dell Inspiron I580, cheap at $799 from Best Buy, but with an i5 650, win7 64 bit, and 8 GB of RAM. They say that you don't need all that RAM for word processing and surfing the internet but all I can tell you is that everything is so much faster, even with relatively slow DSL (2.5 Mbit download), so I wish I had something like this long ago, it's the best technological advance since streaming audio or GPS.

Anyway the reason for the digression is that since the computer upgrade I'm now having problems with the uber finicky Rhapsody program, you gotta love it, when it works it works, if not you're SOL, I've been a subscriber since 2004. Just before th Audio Technica headphones came I went in and played with the equalizer on Rhapsody, which I"ve never done before, and the SR225s sounded quite nice. It made sense to me that headphones might benefit from EQ since they are placed directly on/in your ears, and I checked out this web site, http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html, and deduced that my high frequency hearing is somewhat deficient (from years of playing electric guitar). The interesting thing was that by boosting the high frequencies on the SR225s I got what I perceived to be a much better sound, especially at low volumes, which was surprising to me since initially I thought the SR225s sounded too bright.

The next turn in the road was that with the new computer Rhapsody was slightly skipping about 4-5 times per song, just enough to ruin any sense of musicality, so I popped the Creative Xfi Extreme Music sound card out of the Dimension 5150 and installed it in the Inspiron 580. I didn't notice any sonic improvement but the equalizer in Rhapsody stopped working, and removing the sound card did not restore the EQ. Rhapsody has a Preferences checkbox setting that states: "Use DirectSound output (recommended). Deselecting DirectSound may resolve some rare playback issues. The equalizer may not work if this option is deselected."

I don't know what DirectSound is, but it's usually pretty clear when Real programmers make such statements that program bugs/glitches are involved that they do not entirely understand and have not been able to resolve. I suspect that there may be a connection to DirectSound playback issues, whatever those might be, but the result is that I am left with no EQ for Rhapsody. I suspect that if I did have EQ I would be able to set up the Audio Technica headphones more to my liking.

Finally I decided well why not listen to a CD, then I won't have to listen to Rhapsody skipping and ruining my musically rhapsodic reveries. Except there's a problem: I still have the skipping even with CDs, and it sounds almost like a "pop" or static click in the music stream.

So musically one of my most frequent pastimes (listening at the computer) is stymied and I'm clueless how to resolve the skipping problem or where to look for technical support/clues. All I know is I've upgraded both the hardware and software (Operating System), and the problem seems to be internal to the computer rather than stemming from somewhere in the external internet stream.

On the bright side I played with my auto music and got a better sound. I find the music in the car to be too bright, but it only has an 8 frequency graphic EQ which does nothing to clean up the sound. To me it's a similar situation to headphones, i.e., a small room or environment with funky speaker enclosures that would seem to benefit from EQ. My head unit is a JVC KD-HR1, which leaves a lot to be desired. But I did discover that by changing the subwoofer setting, the sound is a lot more balanced and realistic. The head unit has a subwoofer volume setting that ranges from 00 to 08, when I first had the system installed I liked to run the sub a little hot and had it set to 04, then I tired of that and shifted it to 02, but I also seemed to need to crank up the music real loud to get a realistic sound. Now I've shifted the subwoofer volume setting to 03 and it sounds great even at low volumes. I believe that with proper EQ it would sound much better but until I can afford to upgrade the head unit at least it's an acceptable sound, however crudely it may have been obtained.

Well enough of chronicling my journeys through the electronic weeds and ditches . . .

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
SatKartr #318115 08/10/10 02:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The SR225 and the AD700 are definetly two different beasts. The graph tells the tale.

http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=373&graphID%5B1%5D=2661&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

The SR225 has that typical Grado mid-bass hump and a rise in the high frequences. It has similar frequency response to the MS1 that I have. With the AD700 the treble roll-off I find is very noticable. Insturments like cymbals do not sound as good compared to my Grado/Alessandro MS1. However, the benefit I find with this is that I can wear these for extensive periods without experiencing listener fatigue. They are super comofortable as well. At this price-point there are trade-offs. Going up to the Beyerdynamic DT880 on the other hand, they are really the cats meow.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #319609 08/23/10 05:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Not a total derail but anyone know of a half decent improvement on iphone/iPod Touch replacements that retain the microphone built into the cord? Outstanding sound quality is not a necessity. I already have a pair I enjoy for that but I would like to play with the mike features a bit without enduring the awful sound of the stock pods.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #319614 08/23/10 05:10 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I bought an adapter at Boxwave that includes the microphone - lets you use any kind of headphones. I liked that approach, although it was not for the iPhone. They must have something similar for that device.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020