Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: EP500 Not working
MarkSJohnson #333658 01/06/11 06:29 PM
shareholder in the making
Or it should be made clear, you pay this much for a refurb, or this much for a new one. Or... you can only use a refurb, because we've changed the cabinet.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #333659 01/06/11 06:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Forgot that u paid for the replacement too.... Again, I'm sure it will all work out

-David
Ken.C #333661 01/06/11 06:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Kinda reminds me of the experience I'm currently going through with my optical doc. We had an agreement on how much my exam and glasses would cost, which I paid. But, during the exam, he said that the pressure in my eyes seems a bit high and would like to do some more tests. He asked me if I'd be willing to pay an extra $35 for the eye drops to have the tests done? I agreed. The tests were the ones where they check for blind spots in each eye. 3 months later, I get a bill for $300 more, because the insurance company refused to pay for these extra tests.

So, this just leaves me angry with the doctor. He should of been truthful with me up front about the extra cost. I don't feel I should have to pay for it, but if he turns it into the collectors, it'll leave another bad mark on my already not-so-good credit rating.

Edit: Does the word shyster come to mind?

Last edited by CatBrat; 01/06/11 06:51 PM.
Ken.C #333663 01/06/11 06:47 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Or it should be made clear, you pay this much for a refurb, or this much for a new one. Or... you can only use a refurb, because we've changed the cabinet.

Yeah, totally agree. As far as I knew I was buying a new amp and they were giving me a good price on it since my original warranty was only 3 years, not 5, and I had already been through a replacement amp.

Even given this if the refurbed unit would just have worked I would have lived with it and moved on. Wouldn't have been exactly happy about it but would have had a working system any way.

Gotta tell ya, once you get used to having a sub in your system...I've had one for decades....to be with out is like needing a heroin fix! Geesh....don't even want to listen to anything without it. I'm jonesin' here!

BTW, he had me remove the woofer and check the connections. All is fine there. So unless there is something internally wrong in the voice coil....I doubt it...then it's definitely an amp issue.

Robert_W #334824 01/18/11 10:19 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Well I'd like to report that the 4th time is the charm. But unfortunately it is not.

Got the 4th amp today wired it up and thought this had to be the one. After all how many amps can possibly be bad? The first two, yup, no doubt. They were dead. The 3rd one that they sent, the refurb, had absolutely no output. Kaput out of the box.

So now the 4th. First thing I notice when I take it out is that it's fractions lighter. Like 1/3rd the weight of the previous versions. That and the black boot isn't attached at all. It just sort of hangs there by the blue and white wires. No matter, lets get it wired. But alas the pre-wired cable that they have already attached to the binding posts is too short. OK....so I physically turn the amp 180 degrees upside down to mount it in the cabinet. It's the only way that it will fit and allow the wires to get to the woofer.

At this point I don't care if the amp mounts upside down. I just want it to work. So plug it in and turn it on! Eh....is it on? Well....sort of. Cranked all the way up it's nominal. No where near what the original or second amps were volume wise.

So again I break out the EP350 and set it next to the 600. At 2/3 volume it blows away the 600 at full. Same thing with my M&K. They rock my world. Night and day difference. The 600 is just sort of anemic. Yes working but at a fraction of it's original self.

Talked to them again. Re-checked the wiring 5 times. All is good. The speaker itself seems to be fine. There is no sign of damage. No crackling, no static, no sign of anything wrong with it. But no answers as of yet.

Could they have sent an EP500 amp instead of the 600? Just from the pictures on the sight they look identical. How would I tell? Might be the reason that the wires were too short? Maybe account for the lack of output? I don't know. Just grasping at straws now really.

I assure you that I'm not a complete idiot. And I would really like nothing more than to have a working sub again. I'm also not trying to trash talk these folks. They've been quite pleasant to deal with. But I do think that people need to be made aware of these issues. I can't be alone in this. Just a little venting cause the down time is driving me nuts. It's now been many months in total without a working sub. Rather discouraging. I'm just to the point of so much frustration with it that I'm about ready to say screw it and give up.

So does any one have any ideas? Am I cursed or what? Maybe I built my house on top of an old burial ground? Dunno...

Robert_W #334838 01/18/11 11:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem, Robert, must be very frustrating. In order to eliminate one possible problem, have you tried the 9V battery test on the driver?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #334843 01/18/11 11:49 PM
J
J
I am thinking you and Majik are cursed. As we all know Axiom will make it right but the frustration factor trying to get there is huge. Keep with it you will be rewarded eventually.

I am going through something similar with repairs on my treadmill.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #334861 01/19/11 01:17 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Thanks guys. I will wait to talk to them tomorrow before trying the 9 volt thing though. Don't want to screw anything up warranty wise. The speaker does move, and there is output. It's just seriously reduced. Volume all the way up on music that should have it thumping it just sort of works. Used to slam you in the face and chest if you wanted it to....now it's just kinda there with a volume that I never would have thought of before.

Is it possible that the new amp design just doesn't have the gusto any more? The weight variation between the two was quite noticeable and significant. I'll bet the old one was around 25 - 30 lbs and this new one is 10 lbs. I'm no expert but it seems to me that heavier is better when it comes to amps. Though Brent explained it off as the new "digital" design I don't understand how that would cause such a weight change. Are new "digital" amps really that much better or lighter? It still needs a coil right?

Sorry....just confused and frustrated.

Robert_W #334875 01/19/11 03:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds to me like you need to ship the whole thing back to them. Let them put a working amp in and test it to make sure it's up to par then ship it back to you, all at their cost. 4 times with no working amp is just ridiculous. And on top of it, you even paid for another new amp.

Robert_W #334880 01/19/11 04:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I know where pro amps are concerned, the newer digital amps many companies are coming out with are about 1/3 to 1/4 the weight. This is understandable for live bands transporting all their heavy gear around.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters