Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 39 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
pmbuko #349723 06/07/11 06:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'm about to start using the rowing machine at work regularly. A guy that plays on my league basketball team sent out an email to a few people titled "It's lonely at the top". There's a leaderboard in the gym at work where people post their best 1k, 2k, and 5k rowing times. He's topped all three lists and is looking for better competition.

Apparently he identified me as a potentially worthy competitor. It's just the thing I needed to get off my lazy butt and start working out regularly now that our basketball season is over.

I hope it helps motivate you Peter. Sometimes having a little competition can help you bring out more than you realized you had.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #349761 06/07/11 08:45 PM
shareholder in the making
I've got my work cut out for me. I tried rowing 1000m for the first time today. I started out too fast so first 500m interval was much faster than my second. I got 3:34. The record here is 3:08.

I barely broke a sweat, but my lungs and the tendons on the elbow sides of my biceps were aching when I finished. My heart rate is still up one hour later. That's a lot of fallout from a < 4min workout.

Needless to say, I pushed myself pretty hard.

pmbuko #349771 06/07/11 09:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice job, I think.

Quick question - will this interfere with your 12 ounce bicep curls?

Observation: you only have to shave a little over 12% off your time to beat the record.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
grunt #349774 06/07/11 10:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: grunt
Originally Posted By: fredk
Very impressive Dean. I'm inspired.

I'm gonna start doing two circuits around the living room on the way to the fridge. grin

Just remember to alternate arms when you do the 12oz curls.

Noted!

On a more serious note, my own modest exercise program has netted me another 1 lb loss over the last two months. With the summer here I will be getting out more and increasing my exercise. I hope to drop 5-7 lb. over the summer. That should get me to a reasonable long term weight.

From there I need to keep moving to keep the back pain at bay.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
pmbuko #349810 06/08/11 07:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I've got my work cut out for me. I tried rowing 1000m for the first time today. I started out too fast so first 500m interval was much faster than my second. I got 3:34. The record here is 3:08.

I barely broke a sweat, but my lungs and the tendons on the elbow sides of my biceps were aching when I finished. My heart rate is still up one hour later. That's a lot of fallout from a < 4min workout.

Needless to say, I pushed myself pretty hard.

That's impressive, at least to me. In Crossfit, we have certification levels and at Level One, you have to do 1K under 8:10. During my workout last month, I did it (not under testing) at 8:10:02. Argh.

Then yesterday we did a workout called Jackie for time. I did it in March at 13:31 but I used a red elastic band to help me complete the pull ups.

1K row
50 thrusters with a bare 45 lb bar
30 pull ups

Yesterday I did the same workout w/o a band, which is huge for me, since in Aug last year, I couldn't even do one pull up. I tried to keep my row pace below 2 min/500 m but that failed after time. I think my row was above 4:10 or so. But I ended up with 13:28. Beat my time slightly, but w/ a harder workout.

I need your row karma. wink

Surprising how much a 2K row takes out of you, huh?

oldskoolboarder #352796 08/05/11 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I figured I’d update since I finished another cycle which included a cut of 7 lbs of fat during the middle portion. The cut went well since measurements and strength tests seem to indicate I didn’t lose much if any muscle even though I cut by using a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) and lost the weight in 14 days. The net difference between bulking and cutting now has me at 170 lbs. up from 140 lbs. about 7 months ago.

In the last month I’ve gotten so many comments from people about how “thick,” “big,” and even “huge” I look. People have even started to ask if I’m using steroids (no I’m not).

So far the only drawbacks are some tendonitis, probably due to my muscles growing bigger and stronger than my tendons can keep up. Also, carrying an extra 30 lbs. plus the associated extra food I must eat (and metabolize) to grow is making 110F feel a hell of a lot hotter than it did last year.

I didn’t’ test my 1RMs this time around but I felt I probably added about 5-10% to them based on how 95% of my 1RM felt.

I’m nearing the end of a programed week off and will start another bulking cycle next Monday. After that I will have to decide whether to cut again or continue bulking.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
medic8r #353231 08/17/11 07:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I had to put off the gym for a few weeks after slipping on the stairs and straining my patellar tendon. The time away from the gym was kind of nice for a recharge and allowed me to hit the gym with a vengeance upon my return. I've really noticed increased upper body mass the last couple of weeks, though I have not measured. I can move furniture more easily, which pleases Mrs. Medic8r as we redecorate Medic8r Manor.

My bench press has increased from 200 to 220, doing a power set of 6 reps today. Have not tried to determine absolute max (one rep). Ha, it may be 225, but still, I was never even able to crack the "200 club" in high school. Most other sets are using about 10-20% more weight than when I last checked in, at 10-15 reps each.

The "light bulb" moments in terms of body awareness are part of what keeps me going. My favorite moment was on a bike ride in the neighborhood last week. There's one hill on the last half of the ride that has always seemed impossibly tough - even in a low gear, I'd have to walk it some times. On the last ride, however, I charged up it easily in a medium gear. The feeling of my quadriceps powering me up the hill was really something else.

laugh

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #353232 08/17/11 07:21 PM
You health nuts drive me crazy.

How, exactly, does your post help me to eat more chocolate and cheese cake?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #353234 08/17/11 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I just make up for it by eating more M&M's. That way, I get all of the colors I need.

medic8r #353237 08/17/11 08:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I had to put off the gym for a few weeks after slipping on the stairs and straining my patellar tendon. The time away from the gym was kind of nice for a recharge and allowed me to hit the gym with a vengeance upon my return. I've really noticed increased upper body mass the last couple of weeks, though I have not measured. I can move furniture more easily, which pleases Mrs. Medic8r as we redecorate Medic8r Manor.

My bench press has increased from 200 to 220, doing a power set of 6 reps today. Have not tried to determine absolute max (one rep). Ha, it may be 225, but still, I was never even able to crack the "200 club" in high school. Most other sets are using about 10-20% more weight than when I last checked in, at 10-15 reps each.

The "light bulb" moments in terms of body awareness are part of what keeps me going. My favorite moment was on a bike ride in the neighborhood last week. There's one hill on the last half of the ride that has always seemed impossibly tough - even in a low gear, I'd have to walk it some times. On the last ride, however, I charged up it easily in a medium gear. The feeling of my quadriceps powering me up the hill was really something else.

laugh

Hey doc you’ve discovered on your own what research has been showing . . . that taking periodic time off actually enhances muscle growth and does not hamper but often improves strength. Unfortunately old paradigms die hard especially when people have invested a lot of time and belief in them.

I’ve been following a protocol called Hypertrophic Specific Training (HST) incorporates 4 basic principles one of which you just dicoverd:

http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?12726-Strategic-Deconditioning

Quote:

Granted, any form of exercise will alter patterns of protein synthesis and degradation. But a muscle cell can only grow significantly if some degree of tissue microtrauma occurs. This is brought about when the load is sufficient to strain the cell membrane and its integral structural and contractile protein structures. This signals cellular messengers of various kinds including calcineurin and MAPKs and their associated nuclear counterparts.

Now, if you are training without the aid of exogenous hormones, you will eventually come to the limit of your voluntary strength if you have used the principle of progressive overload. Obviously, at this limit you will be training at 100% effort. And essence, your progress has also reached its pinnacle. The muscle is absolutely tuff as shoe leather (so to speak) and you can no longer add more weight to get it to grow further. What do you do? Well, you can do what thousands of people do and simply beat your brains out using the same weight workout after workout for months or even years on end. As long as your level of conditioning (resistance to microtrauma) stays the same, and the level of weight you use stays the same, your muscles will stay the same. Big or small, they will stay the same.

SD is simply a method that allows (not “tricks”) your muscles to continue to grow, using weights that your muscles have seen before. The method is simple, the science is complicated, the results are significant.

P.S. If you are afraid of using baby weights, check your ego at the door, or use the heaviest weights you can lift from day one an be satisfied with your results, in other words, stop looking for anything better.

I have never claimed that a period of Strategic Deconditioning lasting 7-12 days would completely revert your muscles to an "untrained" state. I have spoken frequently of the rapid training effect or repeated bout effect. Some protection seems to last for a very long time. Still, 7-12 days of complete rest does appear to cause some reversal of the adaptations to training. And from the application, it appears it is sufficient to allow one to start growing again, once gains have stopped with a given weight. Hopefully through the forum and other articles and interviews people have come to learn that SD is more than just a break from training.

A summary of all the principles:
http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?14333-Summary-of-HST-principles

Quote:

4) Strategic Deconditioning
Before each cycle, in order to make the muscles responsive to the light weights in the beginning, a period of 9-14 days is taken off from all training. This reverses some of the effects of the RBE. It allows HST-users to experience rapid and sustainable progress.

This is one of the reasons why newbies experience such great initial gains. They have had such long deconditioning periods. Trained individuals also notice this; when coming off of a planned or unplanned layoff they often experience a renewal of gains.

Not trying to sound like a fan-boy but this system works. In 8 months at 50 years old I’ve exceeded the gains I made at 35 years old when I was a firefighter and powerlifting for 3 years. I just had to retire my medium T-shirts and switch to large because I’ve put on so much muscle the mediums don’t fit anymore. All of my powerlifts are better in 8 months training than they were in 3 years previously, and I’m not even specializing in power training but muscle building instead.

I highly recommend anyone who wants to put on muscle or break through a training plateau consider applying the principles behind HST. Note that following the exact program is not necessary, as I have not followed it since my 1st cycle. But I do apply all 4 principles.

Page 27 of 39 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters