Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
reVP150/M60s, the 'buzz noise' and where we're at
#3629 06/20/02 11:09 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The drivers are in. Just arrived late this afternoon. Unfortunately i have an early appointment tomorrow and i'm on the road tonight so i can't put in the new woofers until friday or saturday.
Amie and Joe came through with the goods. Now i've got high hopes the speakers will finally make that cello chord thump without the 'buzz'.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re M60s, the 'buzz noise' [chesseroo FINAL REPORT]
#3630 06/22/02 03:41 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
And here we have it, the final verdict is in.

{drum roll}

The original drivers were faulty!

Replaced them with the 2 new 6 inch woofers that Joe passed along and voila, smooth sweet tunes of a cello WITHOUT a buzz in the bunch!!
Funny thing then happened when i started listening a bit more closely to be sure the abnormalities had disappeared. I noticed the buzz had gone from the woofers but now i was hearing a buzzy distortion on the first note of the song in the tweeter on the left speaker. After replaying the first notes several times over and starting to look a bit distressed again, my fiance pointed out that the new 'buzz' i was hearing was actually a MISPLAYED twang coming from the cello!!!

Well paint my butt blue and call me smurf-like, i was dumbfounded.
The clarity of the damn speaker and the quality of the recording was actually throwing me off.
So that was the end of decision day. I'm keeping the M60s for good, sending back the M22s (no bookshelfs for me but nice little sounding buggers) AND i hopped onto my Axiom shopping cart to finish my purchasing.
Today i've ordered a VP150 and QS8s (boston cherry, factory outlet) and a pristine Ep350 (boston cherry) to match the set!
Amie don't let me down. I want those bad boys by the end of next week!! Heck, i simply gotta get that dvd player sooner than later now don't i?

Re: Re M60s, the 'buzz noise' [chesseroo FINAL REPORT]
#3631 06/22/02 11:21 AM
old hand
old hand
chesseroo,

Glad to hear that your problem is solved. That's a sweet sounding set-up you've ordered... best of luck with that. I'll bet that not much else is going to get done this weekend with all the listening/viewing you "need" to do!

lando

lando
Re: Re M60s, the 'buzz noise' [chesseroo FINAL REP
#3632 06/22/02 01:48 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I will be sure to start up a post report once the rest of the setup gets here.
I'm anxious to pick up that dvd player so i can really start groovin.

#3633 06/22/02 03:35 PM
old hand
old hand
Can't wait to read that report! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Re: Re M60s, the 'buzz noise' [chesseroo FINAL REPORT]
#3634 06/24/02 09:27 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Glad to hear the replacement drivers solved your problems.

I've decided that my VP150 problems were mostly source related, not a defective speaker. It's amazing how poor the sound quality is on some TV programming and even the occasional DVD.

The reason I say 'mostly' source-related is because I've also come the conclusion that the VP150 is bit of a disappointment relative to the other speakers I purchased. Don't get me wrong, the VP150 is a nice center, I just don't think it's in the same league as the M60ti's, especially with regard to midrange performance, which is one place where the M60ti's really shine while the VP150 comes up a little short. For the most part dialog sounds OK, but sometimes it just sounds a bit strained, for example when somebody is yelling (which seems to be pretty frequently in the movies I watch )

Given how important dialog performance is for the center channel, it's too bad that Axiom didn't design their top-line center using a 3-way design. I'll keep the VP150 since I definitely want to keep the other speakers, but if Axiom were to come out with a better center channel speaker in the future I'd definitely consider upgrading.

#3635 06/25/02 02:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
That's an interesting line of thinking on the VP150. I ordered the rest of my system and it should arrive later this week. Besdies the M60s, we have ordered the vp150, qs8s and the ep350.
I also wanted to stick with the same speaker brand all around and of course i've been very satisfied with the axiom service and selection to date. I'm still a bit bummed by the bright sound of the M60s but we know that we can compensate a bit by buying a cd player that has the right softer sound. At the present time i'm reviewing both a panasonic and hitachi dvd player (this year's models). I will post what i hear about these 2 soon.

Once the system is setup i will be sure to post my thoughts on the rest of the speakers as well, including the vp150.

Thanks for your input on the buzz noise. Everyone's opinions and help info really mean alot when you are looking at a 3000 dollar plus purchase.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020