Re: Designing a Home Theater Room
#84782 03/11/05 05:22 AM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi Chesseroo
In reply to:

the project seems to never get completely finished and instead goes through constant transformations into the next level every other year or so.

I'm SURE it does! I know I have several upgrades in mind that will keep me busy for a long time to come.

Enjoy!

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#84783 03/11/05 05:34 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
*laughs* Ever want to see two dozen guys tripping over themselves to be nice to a newbie?

Don't give her a Y chromosome.

Bren R.

#84784 03/11/05 05:35 AM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi bridgman,

In reply to:

Speakers arrive tomorrow, huh ? Have you already called in sick or are you going to wait until the morning ? Remember to drink some milk just before calling to help sound congested...

I WISH!!! It's 11:30 p.m. here and I'm on a coference call with with a bunch of our engineers in a team in India. I'd rather be snoozing right now, but I'll probably be working through the weekend which means minimal snooze and delaying getting the Axioms tweaked.

Sigh.

#84785 03/11/05 05:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Perfect solution for the QS8s. Nice.

Good advice about the sub. It can go just about anywhere it will fit. Try not to have it inside an enclosure.

There is a technique for finding the best spot. You place the sub in the sweet spot (in the center of your couch), and while playing a CD with good some good bass, crawl around on your hands and knees. Where the bass sounds best, is where you should place the sub. On the other hand, if the bass sounds best on top of the foosball table, I'd find another spot. I know you won't be getting your "real" sub until summer, but experimenting with your "toy" sub will be good practice.

If it's in the budget, pick up a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter, either the analog model, or the digital model. You'll hear people say the analog is superior to the digital. I have the digital and I disagree. The analog might be easier to read when using sweep tones to measure your entire system, but when it comes to your basic system calibration, I find the digital easier. However, the analog is less expensive, and if budget is a factor, by all means get that one.

Also pick up a copy of Avia Guide to Home Theater. You'll love it for calibrating your audio, and it will help you set up your projector for optimal viewing. The disc itself will pretty much walk you through the procedures. I like Digital Video Essentials, but there is a problem with the bass tones. Again if budget is a factor, go ahead and get it, but remember to calibrate your sub about 10 dB hotter than everything else.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#84786 03/11/05 05:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmph... Too bad you can't offshore the speaker unpacking, wiring, placement and calibration work...

I'm starting to think this whole "do it cheaper in India" thing is just a scam to get engineers working 16 hours a day instead of 14. Between customers in Taiwan and engineering teams in Germany, Santa Clara and India it's hardly worth going home these days.

Have fun with the new toys !

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#84787 03/11/05 05:55 AM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi Uncle Jack,
In reply to:

Perfect solution for the QS8s. Nice.

Cool! I was worried about those pointing down 45 degrees. Glad to hear you don't think that will be a problem.

The trick about finding the location for the sub is also pretty cool. Ever taken the tour of the US Capital building? Story goes that when it was first being constructed, congress met in the dome since it was finished even though the wings with the house and senate chambers weren't ready. I forget which congress-critter it was, but it was a future president walked all around the dome before deciding where to place his desk. He put it at a focus point so that he could eavesdrop on lots of other people's hushed conversations.

Same idea. When I hear what the sub drives from my listening location, I can swap positions with it so I hear what it drives from the found location. Cool.

And I'm an Old-School geek and like the analog one I have kicking around here somewhere. Now it's a matter of remembering which of these as-of-yet unpacked moving boxes has it!

#84788 03/11/05 06:38 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Beth, as John(bridgman)points out, your room has an especially nasty mode at about 56Hz.This results from the floor to ceiling mode(speed of sound divided by distance back and forth, or 1130/20~56)at 56Hz plus the second order mode of both the length and width also piling up at 56Hz. Trying to reduce this by placement away from the boundaries may be a bit impractical, but you can also create a partial suckout at 56Hz by separating the M60s about 12 feet, calculated from (1130/6)x 0.3~56. This assumes that the M60s rather than a sub are mainly doing the 56Hz area. Hmmm...on second thought, have you considered moving?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#84789 03/11/05 07:05 AM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
In reply to:

separating the M60s about 12 feet

That's pretty close to the separation I had in mind. Something like 10' or so just by eyeball. I'll know more when I have them set-up and running and get the sound of them in my ears.
In reply to:

have you considered moving?

Hey! I just moved in here last summer! And when we saw this room, we immediately thought "Home Theater". It's just an evolving process to make that into a reality.

G'Night!

#84790 03/11/05 07:12 AM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
In reply to:

The south wall is an exterior wall with no openings or windows and is an internal wall.

Cut and paste error. And too much time has expired and now I can't edit the post to fix it.
In reply to:

The south wall is an exterior wall with no openings or windows.

Actually, right now the room is set up with the 6' tall, 50cm deep shelves on the south wall and the 30cm deep 8' tall shelves on the north wall. When we got the projector and ceiling mount, I discovered the error of my ways. Routing the cabling up the south wall, over the bevel and across the ceiling to the projector was going to be a major hassle because the south wall is an exterior wall that's full of insulation. The set-up as drawn is the planned set-up which includes swapping the bookshelves north to south. A Big Job! But then we can mount the projector on the ceiling instead of having it up on a 4' stand behind the couch. The person sitting in the middle position on the couch has to slouch right now

Take Care!

#84791 03/11/05 07:30 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

The person sitting in the middle position on the couch has to slouch right now

*breaks into a wicked air-guitar of D.R.I.'s Couch Slouch*