Zarak, I'm going to say "all of the above"

Scott, I've been a big fan of Trois Pistoles for quite a while. I think there are two things that set it apart from other readily available black beers. First, a very subtle use of hops. They're *there* to be certain, but only in harmonious amounts. Second, it's really a pretty light-bodied beer for something with that much flavor. You'd probably also really like the New Belgium 1554 and the Okocim Palone.

I had several glasses of a delicious local IPA from Harmon Brewing this weekend. Grassy and resiny. I also had the distinct pleasure of tasting Rogue 10,000 Brew (big commemorative IPA; it tasted like more than 60 IBU, but I think that's because the finishing hops were huge).

I'd be remiss if I didn't also document my opportunity to taste a 2005 Epic Ale from Portland's Roots Organic Brewing. One of only 100 bottles produced, it had aged very well. Big and alcoholic, with just a tinge of sherry. Very complex hop profile. I think it's probably better than the Unibroue Edition beers. Or maybe I'm just saying that to irritate Ken. Clearly, one of the ten best beers I've had.
bibere usque ad hilaritatem