Quote:

...which I think most would agree, then peaks of 20dB's would refer to ranges beyond 300 RMS, in which the amps protective circuitry would be introduced.

By protective ciruitry, I am assuming you mean a shut-down circuit. Since EMO is using a waveform limiter, a shut-down circuit should not be necessary. The limiter should attenuate the gain of the amp...not shut it down. Otherwise, what exactly is the point of the limiter?

Quote:

Other people with 4ohm speakers from Onix, NHT, and Axiom are having the same issues when pushed to similar levels.

I am starting to wonder if the resistors EMO used to simulate speakers during power testing changed value as they were being heated. The devil's in the details.

I find statements such as these on the EMO site worthy of further inquiry. I very much doubt EMO is achieving 0.015% THD into 4 and 2 Ohms:

• THD less than .015%, 20Hz-20kHz with 80kHz measurement bandwidth
• 200 watts/8 ohms – 300 watts/4 ohms – 400 watts/2 ohms - seven channels driven, mains limited
• Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1 dB, or 10Hz-125Khz +/- 3dB

A spec written like this would certainly be less confusing (some of my numbers are made up): Frequency response 20 Hz to 20 KHz +/- 0.1 dB with 0.15% THD for 200W into 8 Ohms, 1% THD for 300W into 4 Ohms, 5% THD for 400W into 2 Ohms.

Having said all of this, for the price, I would certainly be happy with one of these amps .