I mentioned I had countless friends over to compare the Dorati Firebird Suite SACD and Vinyl versions...two magnificent versions. Comments I usually hear are: more thrilling, palpable, emotional or often, simply just "better". It never fails. Do they run off and get turntables, of course not! It's not plug and play and it requires time.

I did say I wasn't interested in denigrating cd playback and I truly meant that. My response was more or less to address some comments I thought were inaccurate (wow and flutter, degradation, etc...). I have some 500 cds and about 20 SACDs. When I play the Stones I choose the SACDs.

I'd agree you can put together a better cd system for less money. But the software is more expensive. Used vinyl is cheaper with way more variety. Depends on your taste and how much music you listen to. It's a pretty sweet deal to come home with 7 great lps and have only expended $35. On the other hand, new vinyl reissues and classical are more expensive than CDs or SACD. On the other other hand, new vinyl buys are limited production and hold or increase their value. I have numerous newly released albums that are worth more today than when I bought them. There is a limited supply of decent used vinyl so I'm happy that most people aren't into it.