Hello Everyone,

I have some questions involving home theatre and I was hoping you could help me, I have been to numerous forums but haven't found my answers.

I plan on purchasing a new HDTV (the new Epson CrystalPro to be exact) This unit deinterlaces using Pixelworks algorithms and scales to its native resolution of 1080p (I was unable to find the tap count for the TVs scaler). Interesting to note that the attached brochure on the Epson does say that it will accept a 1080p signal through BOTH its HDMI and Component Video inputs.

My Equipment rack is situated at the rear of my HT room with the display in the front. My DVD player, VCR and Motorola Cable box are all routed through my Yamaha RX-V1400 Receiver. All video and audio cables are custom made using Belden 1694A cable and 75ohm Canare crimp RCAs.

Question: Since the TV does all its own scaling and deinterlacing using a "higher then average" end process is there really any advantage to purchasing a DVD player with a high DVD shootout score with respect to deinterlacing? I thought I would just look for the one with the best Core stats.

Question: According to a fairly confused tech from my cable company the signal that comes from the cable company to the Motorola DCT6412 is 480i and the cable box does all the deinterlacing and scaling for the signal prior to sending it to the display. I was unable to get answers from Motorola on if the deinterlacing/scaling is done with proprietary Motorola algorithms or if they use someone else's chip. Again why bother setting the cable box to deinterlace/scale if the monitor will be doing it anyway. Would setting the box to output at 480i not allow it to show HD channels? OR are the HD channels coming into the cable box only 480i and the box does all the conversion.

I contacted Yamaha and was told that the receivers 5hz to 60mhz -3db video frequency response is enough to pass-through up to 1080i with out any degradation so I "guess" I can set the Motorola to display 1080i IF I can't get HD channels with it set at 480i.

I am not a fan of HDMI because its flimsy and sometimes if you use it the digital coax output doesn't work. I guess its ok if you are using your TV as the only sound.

PLUS I would rather not (unless it makes a large difference) purchase a 18 foot HDMI cable for the DVD player and a 18foot DVI to HDMI cable for the Cable box. Lastly the ISF calibrator charges per input on the TV so I would rather only use one.

My plan so far:

TV = Epson 61" LCD Projection
DVD Player = DVD Shootout with superior Core performance through Component video. i.e. Denon DVD-1600 (if I can find one) or Panasonic S97/S77. Outputting in 480i to Yamaha
Motorola Cable box DCT 6412 outputting either 480i or 1080i via component video to Yamaha
Yamaha RX-V1400 used as the video switcher outputting to the Epson via Component video.

IF you have ANY recommendation or require more info from me just ask. I look forward to our dialog if you so desire.

Thank you very much for your time and trouble

Andre Gratton