If you have a dedicated, or at least a very light controlled room, go for the big movie experience with a front projector. I have a room that isn't dedicated, so my dimensions are wider than most, but I am at about 12 feet front to back and I am shooting a 104" 16:9 image with my Sanyo Z3 and I love it. With a 19' deep room, your projector options really open up too. You can check out my home theater setup (basement still being finished) at the website in my signature line. Click on the picture at the top of the web page showing a shot from The Incredibles and you will get to more photos.

Here are some low res images of my set up (actual on-screen images are MUCH nicer, but to save web site bandwidth, I had to compress a lot)...

If you don't have full control of lighting, then you will want to stay away from front projectors no matter what anyone else may tell you. It will still be, in some cases, good, but never live up to the full potential.

Another thing to keep in mind is are you going to use this for regular television, or just movies? A front projector uses a bulb that lasts around 2000 hours, which is a lot of movies, but if you watch TV regularly on it, can really chew up the life of the bulb. At aroud $400-$500 for a new one, it can become costly to replace them. Just some thoughts.

Farewell - June 4, 2020