spiffnme,
Since surround speakers are meant for 'background' noises, reverberations or subtle effects, i have never personally considered them to need the requirements of main speakers (i.e. bigger does not = better).

Hence, for me, having to select between your options for a smaller room, the QS4s should be perfectly fine. The QS8s were designed for a larger space, to produce more volume of sound. If you do not have a large room the extra cost benefit here is lost. I've personally found large speakers in a small room to be overkill and difficult to setup.
As it is, the M60s i own are placed about 8 feet in front of my couch and i have NO extra space to move backwards or forwards. At this distance i have found it quite difficult to setup a proper sound field and have noted for future reference, that our listening position should at least be about 10-12 feet from the M60s to give them enough room for adjustments.
If i were going to keep the relatively small room we have right now (approx. 15x16) for HT only (not music), i would have opted for the M22s and a sub combo instead of the M60s. The QS4s would have also been higher on my list than the QS8s.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."