In reply to:

what makes axiom better than say JBL or Klipsh?

You've gotten some excellent advice from the guys. I would just like to reinforce what others have said about how subjective the definition of "better" is. My "better" could be your "worse." That being said, you've heard some good reasons why anyone might consider Axiom as "better" than another brand. If you went to the Klipsch forum, you'd hear any any number of reasons why you might consider Klipsch "better."

In reply to:

the above statement makes me think that Axiom may not be the best speakers for a Home Theatre. I dont do anything but watch DVDs on my system. It's a dedicated DVD theatre. Is Axiom the wrong way to go? Are these more for music rooms?

Respectfully, I feel it's just the other way around. I found Axioms capable of flawless movie soundtrack reproduction. Music reproduction is trickier because of the lack of any standard for the mixing and mastering of CDs. Axioms are relentlessly accurate and revealing. What is on the CD, is what you'll hear. If the CD is poorly mixed and/or mastered, you'll hear it. On the other hand if the CD is well mixed and mastered, the "WOW" factor is through the roof.

You're on the right track. Get the center and surrounds, and see how they work with your Technics. If you're not happy with the mix then you can add some Axiom mains when the budget allows.

When I bought my Axioms I, like you, was interested predominantly in movies. I would have put my ratio of movies to music at 90/10. Once I got my Axioms that ratio changed to about 50/50. They resurrected my interest in music. Should you end up with all Axioms, don't be surprised if you experience a similar change.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton