It seems like we may never have that format war. Blu-Ray has almost all the studios supplying content to its format and now may have first mover advantage. It seems like the only ally HD-DVD has right now is Bill Gates. Still, I think the HD format will be going the way of DVD-A/SACD. The average buyer doesn't have a HD compatible television or know 480i from 1080p. Also, I still get a feeling that the average buyer is still not sold on widescreen because of those black bars. I was in the DVD section a large retail chain store and an older women was asking another customer the difference between full and widescreen and the guy said he had a widescreen TV and STILL prefered Full-Screen because he hated those black bars (though I guess image distortion from streching 4:3 video to 16:9 or missing like 30% of the full picture didn't both him).

I wouldn't invest in a player until Blu-Ray stops issuing movies like Charlie's Angels II in its initial roll-outs and gives us some title like LOTR and Star Wars. Of course, these titles will be double dipped in the future, so why invest now?