I'll just throw in a plug for front projectors. I get a 80" screen with 720p, for a total cost (projector + screen) of $2500. Simply beautiful picture (Panasonic AE900U LCD).

The main selling point for us was that with a projector, a big honkin' set need not take over your living room. When we're not watching, I collapse the screen (it's a portable DaLite Insta-Theater) and everything goes in the closet when not in use. In our case, we're talking the ultimate in WAF: M3Ti mains in the top corners of the room, Hsu TN-1220HO sub invisible behind the armoire, VP100 center placed in front of the screen when we're doing HT otherwise put out of sight, and screen & projector there only for HT but gone for music.

Since it's a slight production to get set up for watching movies (5 or 10 min), it's more of a special occasion, so that when we watch a movie as a family, the kids don't just take it for granted.

If you have a permanently installed projector and drop-down screen, you can get much the same "invisibility" of your HT when it's not in use.

Anyways, even if WAF isn't an issue, front projectors offer by far the most screen area per dollar, and inherently the most theater-like experience.

--Martin