I have been an IT pro for 12 years now. In that time I have had exactly 2 managers/bosses that understand the irony of my position: When I'm sitting here posting to forums or catching up on my geek news I am doing my job very well. My productivity metric is based almost solely on uptime/system availability. When you have your systems tuned super tight you have more unobstructed time to finish projects. When your projects are complete you then can divide your time between the internet and studying up for that next test or catching up on the latest tech trends or looking for that new tech that will make things even more efficient. That is the beauty of a small company like this. Just big enough to have a 2-member IT staff and use alot of enterprise toys but not so big that you have management layers who each have their own way of measuring productivity. At Intel it was all peer review and "team player" and such, which was fine because everone in my was happy with me and further enjoyed the fact that I would sign on to any project of theirs that caught my interest. My first job was a call center where it was all "tickets," or calls handled. I also worked at an insurance company for a short time where the IS manager would just flip out if you sat for more that 5 minutes a day. We used to go unplug things just to make another admin go figure out what was wrong and "justify his position." Stupid way of doing things.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti