I thought I'd bring this one back since I am in the middle of a game and waiting to get done work to go home and play some more

How's everyone doing with it? I am playing at Prince level currently. I'm the French this time and have Montezuma on one side and one of the Chinese guys on the other. They take turns attacking me, but fortunately my army has been better so far. However, I do have one problem that seems to reoccur quite often for me. Whether it is from being attacked and taking over cities, or just overexpansion early, my maintenence costs get way high and my tech development has to go down to 30% or so to keep from running out of money. I'd really be stuck without the bonuses from taking over cities. I did just get the courthouse tech and am starting to build them everywhere, which should help, but I usually seem to him this early-mid game lull where I can't keep my tech spending high because of a lack of gold. Anyone else find this and a good solution for it. In this case, all I can think of is to raze cities instead of occupy them, but I hate to waste a good city like that, unless it is just in a bad spot.