Hello All

I have been a lurker on these boards for some time and I must say it can certainly become addictive.This is my first post here (or on any board for that matter) so I hope it doesn't become to long and boring.

I plan on starting my dedicated home theatre in the near future and need to hear someone say that the time and money spent on doing the "whole nine yards" in accoustical treatment is worth the effort. I don't mind taking the time, or even the added cost, but I need to know that it will make me feel the "WOW" factor, as opposed to if only some bass traps and 1st reflection panels were done. I have looked jealously at many of the DIY home theatres on this and other boards and the use of GOM lined walls etc. is very tempting. The room (approx 12'x21'x8'in our basement)may not be our last home theatre as I can envision moving in 3 or 4 years. Also, and quite frankly, I don't believe my wife would appreciate the difference, or care, if I completely treated the room, or if I left the 2"x4" studs uncovered, nothing on the ceiling and a boom box for the stereo system, so this will probably be for my own pleasure. I plan a front projector and the Axiom Epic 60-500 system by the way. I listened to a pair of Monitor Audio speakers the other day in a local stereo shop and have read somewhere they are somewhat comparable to the Axioms, and these were on the main floor showroom with no treatments in the room, and they sounded terrific! Keep in mind I will be moving up from a Bose mini-cube sound system. (Please be kind as it served my purposes for a period of time where I had a much smaller room)

Bottom line I guess is that I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the subject. Remember I would like the added work to give the "WOW" differnce, not the, "oh yeah that does sound somewhat better". I understand sound is perceived and appreciated differently by each person but perhaps someone here has experienced both a normal room and then treated the same room room and can relay their experience.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the long post!

Meddy