The bass knob on my receiver, and most receivers I believe, only attenuates the response for the main L/R speakers.

For me it worked out perfectly since my receiver's bass knob affects frequencies between 350-50, and my m22's were rolling off by around 3-6db starting from below 500hz. If you look at the NRC measurements you'll see that the m22's have a slight dip of around 2-3db from around 150hz-500hz. I used a radio shack meter along with a cd of sine frequencies generated from the NCH tone generator and my response graph was very close to the NRC measurements. After increasing the bass knob, the result was a smoother response. My 22's are about 3ft from the side walls and 2ft from the front wall. I suppose that moving the 22's closer to the wall may help increase the frequency response below 500, but for me, using the bass knob instead was a good compromise.

I also ran tests on the vp150 and find that in the position i placed it in, it lacks the roll off in frequencies under 500hz that the 22's had. It seems to be smoother in the sub 1khz area. By boosting my 22's response at 350 and under I find that it's a much closer match to the 150's. I'm sure that people's results with boosting the bass will vary, but I'd give it a try and see what happens. For me, my m22s and 150 blend almost seamlessly now, just from adjusting the bass knob. For everybody who can easily tell the difference, like me, in the sound of test tones and pans in movies between your 150 and 22's, try adjusting your bass knob for the 22s...

Last edited by asap2006; 06/18/03 01:19 AM.