My AX3's are not shielded. Are yours the regular or Reference Models?
I know this because I have had them apart for driver changes. I have also noticed that the fiberglass insulation you mention does tend to come out of the port. Simply push it to the side using a ruler or something.

I took them apart to try to see an upgrade path. I absolutely HATE the guillotines for the speaker cables. I wanted to replace them with proper binding posts. I must say that Axiom secured the current posts, with about 5 oz of construction adhesive!!! So, I have put that project to the side. I will probably just drill new holes and leave the old ones unconnected. I was less than enthused with the quality of the internal wiring, and GASP....push/crimp on connectors in some of the drivers. However, I must remind myself these speakers are designed to make a price point in the target market, and changing these would have affected this. They do SOUND nice....the main important point. But I believe a design "flaw" is like a cockroach....you never see just one.

Gee this sounds like I am slagging them, When I actually enjoy them!

I have an original brochure of the AX line. Let me check if they mention the AX3 being shielded.

Regards,

BBIBH