I have my 80s in a stand alone two channel system. I also use an Outlaw sub with this system. I do enjoy the sub, but if it disappeared, I wouldn’t cry over it. The theft might make me cry and want to kick some ass, but loosing the low frequencies wouldn’t. For example, Audioslave sounds incredible with just the 80’s, but with the 80’s and the sub, holly friggin crap! The sub is simply too much. But I don’t listen to hip-hop and rap, so I suspect if you do, you’d like the sub and wouldn’t want to live without it.

Now that’s just stereo listening. Just for shits and grins and I put the War of the Worlds DVD in this system just to “hear” what the sub would do. Long story short on that regard, I ordered the EP 500 the next day to go upstairs for the TV system.

In summery, for movies, get the sub regardless of ANY speaker you buy. You’ll be glad you did. For just rocking with two channel tunes, the 80’s carry their own weight and really do not need a sub. I can’t comment on the 60’s, but our good buddy Rick has both and says the 80’s have more bass.

My room is 28 X 32 with vaulted 23’ ceilings. The 80’s hit you in the chest with bass and get your toes tapping 20’ away.