Mike -
I read your post earlier today and have been thinking about a few issues while working in the garage and listening to the Axiom 5.1 out there.
If I understand the room layout correctly, you will place tv/screen on the 12' wall, then have two couches, with the rear one being approx 24" from the closet 'EQ area". Using dimensions of a standard sofa/couch, each needs approx 4' (min)in depth allowing for a persons legs and feet. With two of them and clearence to the EQ area, this will take up approx 10', leaving about 5' for the viewing distance when seated on the front most couch, dependant on if you use a screen, wall mount plasma or a HD set or wahtever.

In playing with the rear speakers here, I have found they seem to work best when 6 to 10 feet of seperation, and at the same ear level as recomended for surrounds. As for mounting them horizontally, I think that thas been discussed a lot on the forum and the general rule is it's not the best thing to do.
I have not visualized where you are going to fit in the massage chair, and you did not mention what type/size of sub you are going to us, so need to make allowances for that.

Is using speaker stands an option since you have limited wall locations for speakers, or just go with a 5.1 system. Also if the EQ is behind the seating area do you have some brand of a remote extender ?