Well ratpack, you are correct. I listen to different amps in a given system, I use my mark-1 stereo aural receiver system hooked to a 1300 cc wetwork mushware computer (version 4.5 billion) with 50 squintillion possible non-binary neuronal connections and built in processing, rely on first hand experience of the audio output from systems with variables limited to different amps, and ... out comes an opinion. Wait ... here it is ... amps make an audible difference.

Now, true, I don't close both my eyes when I switch amps, so, I guess my tests are not of the double blind variety.

If you believe that all solid state amps of similar output are the same, you should buy the cheapest amp you can find. Interesting that the reductionist/positivist outlook impels the conclusion that of a population of amps with similar specs price (and perhaps warranty, cosmetics, or brand-name impact) is the only basis for distinguishing between them.

Now, I don't believe that more money necessarily gets you a better component, how could any Axiom fan believe such a proposition?

On a more serious note, I've been thinking about PMB's "blatt" comment. Now, I do believe that a system's ability to reproduce "blatt" is a major indicator of its sound quality. I have heard a major difference between systems' abilities to reproduce blatt, but the variable I was listening for was speaker choice, not amps. I think it would make an interesting test to see if different amps have any effect on a given system's ability to blatt well.

Funny thing about physics and opinions ... ratpack you are correct. I base my opinions on output rather than theory. How does it sound, rather than how does the spec sheet look. Thanks for the clarification.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.