Gena,

Thanks for this post, I was wondering how a separate multi-channel amp would affect my sound as I hear some strain in some loud(not wake the dead ear splitting) vocals. But I am way to stupid and lazy to do measurements.

With 1kHz tone

“Vrms (V) -- Power (W) --Sound Level (dB)
6.0 //4.5 //85 Really loud “

With 5.1 music
“At the receiver volume of -10dB the sound level was 85dB – this was the maximum I can listen to for some extended time. The average voltage on the speaker was about 2V – this is 0.5W of rms power and the peaks were up but never higher than 10V – this is 12W of power.”

These power measurements are 1 channel then 1 of the 5 channels for music ? Amazing how much power the powered subwoofer saves the channel amps.

JohnK,

That article is fantastic, makes a good case for BLIND testing.

Looks like an amplifier does not have much effect on signal quality and buys only undistorted volume, which is what I need if I want to crank it up. I would not go further than something like the 200 Watt Outlaw. My receiver(Yamaha RX-V2400) spec., is 120 Watt rms per channel. Even if that’s shared between the front 3, the Outlaw buys me 200 W rms vs. 40 W rms only half again as loud ? Am I looking at this correctly ?