Wow...what an open ended question!!!

Why do people trash one model while supporting another? There are volumes of material written on subjects that would need to be considered - marketing, psyhcology, physics, human nature......

But what makes speakers different? Well, again, there are numerous reasons (some of which I am sure will be left out in this reply), here are a few:
- Price Point
- Materials
- Design Theory
- Designer Approach , Experience, Beliefs
- Testing Methodologies
- Goal of Designs

Any one of these itself can spawn debates within the design community, and very seldom would an absolute be agreed upon. In my career in electronics/electrical engineering, I have had the pleasure (and sometimes the misfortune!!!) of speaking with the people responsible for some of the products - including audio - that we use on a daily basis....some applications are employed by companies that service our daily needs. I can state that certain things are commonly known, but the approaches vary wildly.

Anyway, as mentioned, personal preference and "subjectivity" is alive and well in the world, so enjoy, listen to as broad a selection of audio equipment as you can, and form your opinions.