Yes, I have always based judgements on how the piece performs. Economics is a big piece of the equation, as if it is very expensive, it should be designed better, and with less cost cutting. As Ian points out this is not always the case. Some high priced gear can make wonderful sounds, but scarcely reproduce music. The $100K Infinity IRSV Reference "Monster" comes to mind. It played sounds (everyday noises and sounds) with astonishing clarity, yet was clearly out of it's element attempting to play a jazz trio!

Some lower priced equipment (relative to each person's economic situation) can sound great. This is the case with the Axiom line. But what is expensive(or affordable) to some, might not be expensive(or affordable) to others.

The main point I was trying to make is that you need to listen and determine if it is good for you. Can you afford it...well that becomes a factor. I have a friend who enjoys $200 bottles of wine, and thinks I am crazy having an expensive stereo hobby.

It is all in the enjoyment! Audio, as with most things in life, is subjective to each person.

Regards,

BBIBH