Also Nathan, what you are experiencing, regarding the dialog being a bit on the quiet side while the action scenes are a bit too loud is not unusual, particularly for those of us who aren't striving for window rattling volume.

One thing you can try, when watching DVDs or anything with a Dolby Digital or DTS signal, is going into your Yammi's menu and adjusting the dynamic range of the the audio. Doing so makes the loud passages not so loud, and the quiet passages not so quiet.

I'm not sure what Yamaha calls this adjustment (on the 2600, they call it the "Dynamic Range" setting - page 84 in the manual). Some manufacturers call it "Night Mode," or something like that. If your Yammi has the "Dynamic Range" setting, setting it to the minimum may help.

Also, if you prefer the center channel bumped up a little bit to help clarify the dialog, that's fine. Calibrated settings are not chiseled in stone. Whatever works for you is the right setting.

As mentioned, position of the center channel, can be critical. If at all possible, aim it directly at your ear level, and try to place it in such a way as to eliminate any reflections from surrounding horizontal or vertical surfaces. I have my center channel extending beyond the edge of the shelf on which it is placed by about an inch, or so.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton