Nice review.

Quote:

After reading all the internet scuttlebut about Axioms being "bright" or (even worse) "harsh", I was a bit concerned since I've never really preferred that sound quality. With the M50's I just can't agree with this description of their sonic character. I would describe them as "clear", or "revealing", but would not even tend towards "crisp", much less "harsh".

This isn't surprising. I cannot immediately recall having heard anyone say the M40/50/3 line were bright or harsh. This is more common when reading/hearing about the M22/60/80 lineup (different tweeter) and debated by just as many.

Quote:

The M50's sound fine at the lower levels, but the delineation between instruments is just not as pronounced as what I've heard on Vandy's

You should hear the M22/60/80 series.
The increased clarity between those and the M40s i demoed was astounding.

Quote:

After a good bit of deliberation, I think I'm going to build a new TV-stand, with a height-adjustable center-channel shelf. Then, a pair of Axiom M2's or M3's may find their way to this location, run in parallel off the single center channel of the Rotel. With dual center speakers,

Depending on the size of your room, separation between the M50s, only a single M3 would be required. In choosing the M3 over the M2 in this situation you will have the better timbre matching as the M3 shares the same tweeter as the M50. Personally i would still venture the VP150. Its off-axis dispersion is incredibly wide.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."