Bridgman, thanks for updating the pic! Also, thanks for all your recs. Since builders tend to charge an arm and a leg for upgrades to the house, I'm trying to just pay for the modificiations that'd be more expensive down the road than now. Hence, trying to get the prewiring right. Admittedly, some of the ceiling stuff and "soffit traps" you mentioned may be a little more involved than I was thinking. Would they make that much of a difference? I'd hardly consider myself an audiophile, so subtle differences would probably be lost on me. I've never had more than a 2.1 inexpensive setup before, so just moving up to a 7.1 setup with a >$400 receiver will "wow" me, and I'd be none the wiser.

BrotherBob, thanks for your input also. Let me ask you (and the other forum members) this: would going with 2 EP-350's be a mistake? Costwise, it's only $140 more for the EP-350's, and they could give me flexibility for placement to deal with room acoustics problems, plus I can start with one, then add another later as finances allow. I'm not that much of a bass person, so I don't anticipate needing more than 1 EP-500 or 2 EP-350. That's my rationale for leaning toward 2 EP-350's, but if you think I'm making a mistake, please tell me so. Now that I think about it, though, are there many receivers below $1500 that have multiple sub outputs? Or will going with 1 sub be my only choice at that price point anyways?

Again, thanks for all the input so far!